Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Back to swimming class

After 3 missed weeks (two cancelled classes and the school half-term), swimming class was back on today. Last lesson felt like forever ago, and there were only 5 of us turned up this week; the class was really good, though. He had us swimming width after width after width, with different types of movements of arms/feet etc. each time. So, like, arms straight ahead and kicking feet, arms straight ahead and breast stroke legs, sculling arms, breast stroke arms, front crawl arms (ooooh, I learnt something new!!), and so on. The only ones I was really, really failing at were all the ones on my back. I just couldn't manage it - it was like my brain wouldn't let me.

It's frustrating, but I will try to find some way to practice. Although I reminded myself recently that once swimming classes have finished I don't actually ever NEED to swim on my back - I would like to try and get over whatever this mental block is, mind.

First ever time doing front crawl. It wasn't pretty or technically very good, and god only knows how I'll ever actually manage to swim and breathe at the same time, hahahahaha, but I'm pretty pleased with the progress. At the end of class tonight, he asked if anyone in the group wanted to try and swim to the deep end of the poor (2 metres, so not CRAZY deep, but still, a wee bit scary for li'l ol' me) and before I knew what was happening, I was doing a fairly passable breast stroke down the pool...! :) And not a granny breaststrke, either - one with face in the water, coming up from breaths, then back down again. I happily advised the teacher I was channeling my inner Michael Phelps. He grinned, and shot back: "Michael Phelps doesn't swim breast stroke. But you do!!" - ahahahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment