Saturday, 13 October 2012

22/100 - Messin' about on the not-river

I volunteered at Edinburgh parkrun this morning, at the 3rd anniversary event. Loads of fun, and I loved cheering everyone over the line - it's really motivating. I even got someone coming back over afterwards specifically to thank me for my encouragement. I get soooo much from cheering everyone on, I really do. More excitingly I also got to have a good chat with Julie from the blog "Watching The Trails" - I'm a big fan, so recognised her when we were by the van getting our high-vis jackets, and was a wee bit fawning sadly, hehe. "I read your blog!" - how embarrassing, hehe!! It was really good to chat to her; not many people know the big names in Scottish ultrarunning, so it's great to get to talk with someone who does. Fun morning. :)

Late this afternoon I headed off to the gym. I'd mentioned yesterday that it's been quite a while since I did some work on the rowing machine at the gym, so I thought I might have a go at a long distance row. I've never done more than 2km (PB: 8:57.3 - way back almost a year ago) and normally just do 1km (PB: 4:16.9 - almost as long ago), so today I thought as long as I went for more than 9 minutes I'd be happy, but the longer the better.

What I didn't bank on was my chest muscles would be slightly aching from yesterday's workout, and the fact I forgot to take padded gloves. I can row for the 9 minutes it takes me to do 2km without the need for padded gloves, but longer? Hmmm... I managed okay, though. Or at least I thought so at the time - but reflecting back is a slightly different story. Today's workout:

1) 5 mins cross-trainer warm-up

2) Rower - 15 minutes - 3.228 km (average pace 2:19.6 per 500m)
...(3 minute rest)
3) Rower - 500m - 2:18.6

4) Clean and press with 15kg barbell - x 10
5) Front squats with 15kg barbell - x 5
6) Repeat 4 and 5

7) Tricep pushdown (on machine w/ angle bar handhold) - 10kgs, x 20 - x 2 sets

8) Kettlebell swings - 20kgs, x 20 - x 2 sets

9) Rower - 1km - 4:30.1 (average pace 2:15.1 per 500m)



So, at the time, I was a little disappointed to be soooo tired (and sweat-drippy) from 'just' 15 minutes of rowing, but it's waaay more than I've ever done before, so can't complain. I had planned on trying to do 15 minutes again after a short break, but couldn't manage it, so stuck to the 500m. After some really awesome weights work I was feeling strong and confident, so headed back to the rowing machine, and managed a faster paced 1km, which just about killed me. I was really pleased with it, but getting home and reviewing previous rowing sessions at the gym, it's still well off my best. Finished today, I didn't think I could give any more, but my PBs demonstrate otherwise!! Going to get back to that level, for sure. Those two PBs are goin' down!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment