Okay, I know I said I was going to have about 10 days off running, and today is only 7 days since the 10km race, but I couldn't help it. I'd been thinking about running a lot yesterday, and this morning I was finalising my running plans for the rest of 2012 into 2013, so my mind was ready to get going again. So, since I dislike running, I can't turn my back on those rare occurences where I actually WANT to do it, can I? *laughs*
I headed to the gym about 11am-ish, and, still without much of a plan other than "let's see what my speed is like after such a long period where I focussed more on distance than speed", I got going. Today's workout; not very huge, but quite gratifying.
1) warm-up - 1km walk on the treadmill, 10:10
2) 1km treadmill time trial - 5:57
3) 1km walk - 10:25
4) 1km treadmill time trial - 5:58
5) 15 calf raises, holding 10kg barbell
6) 15 bicep curls with 10kg barbell
7) 15 front squats with 10kg barbell
8) Repeat 5, 6, 7
9) Side crunches, 10 each side
10) Crunches, x 20
11) Reverse crunches, x 10
12) Repeat 9, 10, 11
So, here's the thing about those 1km time trials. I've ran 1km on the treadmill maybe 35-40 times over the past year, and only gone under 6 minutes twice, my PB is 5:54, which was back in April this year. So to get 5:57 was pretty great!! I wish I was wearing my heart rate monitor, though, because it just about killed me. I started the 1km walk really slowly, if I'm honest, until I could build my walking speed back up. Then when I started the second 1km I actually felt so rough I considered stopping at 500m, but I pushed through, and pushed the speed up, and JUST missed out on a PB again.
Totally thrilled to get two sub-6 minute kilometres, and looking forward to building on that over the next few months. I have plans set, now, for my running training, and will be writing up a chart later tonight ready for tomorrow's fresh start. *bounce*
Tell you what, though, I thought I might actually pass out after the second 1km run..!! My heart wanted to jump out of my chest, and sweat was dripping off me. I need to be at a stage where I can run five of those sub 6-minute kms in a row, and still be alive at the end, to get a sub-30 minute parkrun, and it feels like I have a LOT of work to do....!!! But I'm gonna do it. Today's workout wasn't exactly huge, but it gave me a lot of hope.
Admittedly, I blew my good mood out of the water after that, by going clothes shopping. Sigh. I can't imagine the day when I WON'T get upset shopping for clothes, it's one of the very worst things you can ever ask a girl with horrific body image issues to do. But hey, I'm fixing myself one step at a time, and I can't expect everything to change overnight. :) I'll get there...
Woo!!! So impressed on your 1km time trials! How do you do it sweetheart? I do it the other way around - decide on the speed and decide how long I want to hold it for... e.g. 30 seconds or a minute.
ReplyDeleteRegardless, that's awesome - well done :D
Eye, you're doing soooo much faster 1kms than me at the moment, you're a total speed demon!!! I tend to fiddle with the speed a lot, if I'm honest, so no real set speed. I just know I have to average a wee bit faster than 10kms/hr, so I start at 9.5, knock the speed up by 0.1 every 20 or 30 seconds or so, up to about 10.7 or 10.8, then I take it down a wee bit, then knock it up to 11, and so on.... Never really hold a single speed for more than 30 seconds or so before I take it up a notch or down. Thanks love, I hopefully will be keeping up with you after a few months more work!! x
ReplyDelete