Sunday, 21 October 2012

30/100 - if I can't break walls down, I'll scale 'em.

Spent the day at the big climbing centre on the outskirts of the city, with Tor and Derry, who are accomplished, experienced climbers, and Davie and Julie who are fit and active guys who recently got into climbing, did a training course and have maybe had about 3 or 4 sessions themselves so far. As for me I've only climbed twice before, with Tor & Derry, and not for quite a while. I was a wee bit nervous!

I needn't have been - I managed quite well, really. Reached the top of the walls once or twice, got reeeeeally high up a couple of other times, and did a lot better than I was expecting to. I'll be honest, my brain lets me down before my body does, but I really have to trust my body more. My legs and core are stronger than I give them credit for, and my upper body strength continues to improve with gym training. But up high, stuck to the wall trying to work out where my next move was, a couple of times my heartbeat sped up, and I sort of panicked a little, and gave up the climb. I don't exactly do many adrenaline sports, lol. It wasn't that I was worried about heights, I just didn't trust my body would manage the next move, or that my brain was picking the right option. I do think this sort of thing will improve the more I do it. It feels like for the last year or two, I've been trying to break down so many walls that I put up to 'protect' myself, it's such a neverending struggle, but days like today help remind me I can get there, if I keep chipping away.

Spending time with both couples, separately, is always motivating and inspiring, so getting them together was a stroke of genius (even if I do say so myself). Watching Davie pushing himself to really amazing heights (literally and figuratively), without giving up, for example - in fact, just listening to the four of them talking made me happy and feel positive - I get so much from spending time with people like this. The enthusiasm and motivation just pours out, and I came away today desperate to be more than I am, but not in a miserable mopey way, y'know? Just feel so inspired.

Anyways, I'm so tired now. Climbing exercises your brain just as much as your body, and it's worn me out a little, so excuse the rambling thoughts. And the picture of my arse, lmao. x

No comments:

Post a Comment