The time has come, this runner said, to write of many things,
Of trails, and trials, and midge nets - of running queens and kings.
We start our tale a few months back, post-trail run done with friends.
"Sarah, can we ask a favour....?" - narrowed eyes... "Depends."
Moments later, I'd agreed to join John's happy crew.
I've never crewed a race before, now what should I do?
I've cheered for friends, and volunteered, and sort of know the score -
So I settled down with Race Reports, to try and find out more.
The more I read online, I found, the more inspired I got.
Scared, excited, thrilled, and more - I kinda lost the plot.
Time passed quickly, soon enough I made it to Milngavie:
Surrounded by runners, crews, and more - feeling on a high. Packing had been quite a task, I'd planned the best I could.
Would it rain, or overheat, would I be to my knees in mud?
Long sleeves and legs to guard against the midges that would bite;
Running gear, lots of clothes, and a torch for overnight.
Helen and John were organised, they'd done all of the prep,
Worked out the details best they could, for every little step.
James and George completed our team, the runners of our crew; Helen and I might run, as well, but less miles would we do.
John registered and we got chance to say hellos abound -
Like Julie C at the scales, Ian and Adrian hovering 'round.
Back outside I went to wish Rob Soutar all the best,
Chatted to him and his crew for a while, about this mental quest.
"Where's Helen gone?" John mused aloud, which got us wondering-
We spotted her chatting to Lorna, and Johnny 'fkn' Fling.
Squeals from Helen once again as she ran to hug more folk;
Some running, some supporting, some marshalling - no joke! But all too soon half twelve arrived and race brief could commence,
| Milngavie at the start (as with all pics here, click to enlarge) |
As 1am announced the start, and excitement really grew!
We cheered and clapped as all the runners streamed past one by one,
Torches shining in the night, until they all had gone.
We hustled back, amongst the crowds and first rain of the day.
All piled in cars and campervans, and headed on our way.
We went first to the Beech Tree Inn, who'd kindly opened up
Serving hot rolls by the dozen, steaming coffee cup by cup.
Here we waited nervously, until suddenly appeared
The head-torch glow that signified the runners - we all cheered.
The familiar style of Paul Giblin passed us like a flash;
Robert Soutar tight behind - could be quite a clash! "It's early days of course," we said. "The leader's bound to shift."
Could Paul keep up a lightning pace, or would it start to drift?
We cheered and clapped as one by one the runners passed us by.
The rain came down incessantly, no-one would stay dry. John ran past looking strong midfield, our own wee shining star.
Did he need us as Drymen? No, he said; on to Balmaha!
At Balmaha we parked the van, under the rainy skies
Set an alarm for an hour or so; then we shut our eyes.
I dozed a bit, but not great sleep, my mind just wouldn't hush,
But while my eyes were closed I missed the leaders in their rush.
Helen filled me in a bit, as our crew began to move -
Paul and Robert still ahead, settling in a groove, Marco was not far behind, and Lorna going well too.
We read John's typed instructions as to what we were to do;
He wanted coffee and breakfast here, yoghurt and muesli,
Perhaps a change of clothes? We'd have to wait and see.
As Helen prepared the breakfast and got the gas stove on
I went down to the checkpoint to watch out there for John.
Clapped for all the runners as they swiped their checkpoint chip, Did a man with yellow legs go past? Maybe I need more kip...
John arrived through the dark, we gathered him straight away.
"How's it going?" He muttered "sh*t" - we knew that's what he'd say!
He sat and ate his breakfast as we took his torch, and pack,
Refilled his snacks and water - put Vaseline on his back.
Then off he went, we noted down some thoughts on how he was,
Time of arrival (spot on plan), and other notes because
Apparently it's vital that your runner's peeing well;
The things you learn! (Hydration problems can create sheer hell.) As Helen packed the van up, I popped to buy some tea
From the Oak Tree Inn who'd opened up for us especially.
We passed another racer starting on this section
A man asked him "is your jacket good?" - what a weird question!
Turns out the guy worked for the place that sells the flippin' coat, Market research live in a race!! Whatever floats yer boat...
![]() |
| Me. "Aargh, a sporty Ring Wraith" |
So next up - Rowardennan, a busy car park in the rain,
The midges were out in force here - they really were a pain! We 'netted up' and sprayed ourselves, and checked the plan we shared;
A change from waist to back pack, so we got it all prepared.
Once that was done we headed to the checkpoint spot together,
Race news: Paul had pulled away, impressive in this weather!
John arrived ahead of time, things were still "sh*t", he said - We quickly got him sat down and fed on rice pudding and bread.
Transferred his phone to backpack, and applied lube where he'd ask,
Few minutes more he sat there, then onwards with his task.
We'd a wee break ahead now, the next point was Bein Glas.
Some sleep in the van, and some food, then watched some runners pass.
The farmer had allowed us to park in a field nearby,
We carried our gear to the checkpoint as time began to fly.
Chatted to Noanie who marshalled, and would be crewing too,
Then cheered on other runners, as they passed on through. Support worked hard at this station, 'cos cars were a walk away,
We thought we had all that we needed, but then what would John say?
Soon enough he arrived here, on track for the aim at this mile,
Milkshake and oats were eaten, he told us his trail mix was vile.
Helen rushed to get socks to change into, and Noanie gasped
As Injinji socks were revealed - after John's ribbing in the past!
Lots of chafing at this point required Vaseline;
A wife on the crew is a benefit here, others are not so keen
To help soothe chafing in certain spots, as you'd likely guess! Then off he went, still doing well, mile 42 no less.
At Auchtertyre (the next checkpoint) runners can pick up aid
In the form of support-running crewmates, as runners start to fade.
I'm not much of a runner, still new to running on trails,
But John wanted me to experience all that the race entails.
He asked me to run from the wigwams to the Green Welly Stop,
A distance of just under 3 miles, a doable wee little hop.
Of course I found I was nervous, as we drove to the scene,
I ate, drank, and dressed, then found myself surprisingly keen! We looked for the gazebo where John would be getting weighed,
While Helen put soup on the stove, and John's plan was obeyed.
The four of us, in pouring rain, stood and watched the track,
Cheering all the runners as they continued their attack.
When John arrived, got him weighed, they weren't too pleased to see
He'd lost more weight that they would like, but John was still happy.
Well, happy as could be of course, fifty miles into a race -
Hip flexor sore, back chafed to hell, but keeping up his pace. Before we left, John picked up a charger for his Garmin
He'd done twelve hours of running now, watch death would be alarming!
He ate some soup, and pasta shells, and changed his clothes as well,
Then he and I got going on my first support run spell.
We ran this 3 mile section in a slow and steady way,
I tried to be encouraging, but not sure what to say!
I was impressed with how he ran, over 50 miles along,
I watched his feet and posture and thought he looked so strong.
We walked a while on uphill bits, and ran at 11 min pace,
I'm quite surprised to realise a smile was on my face.
A non-race runner the other way remarked "Good effort" to John,
"That means I look like sh*t", he groaned; I laughed and carried on.
We finished this in target time, he swapped his runner to George.
At Tyndrum now, a "Fling" complete, and onwards would they forge.
I was pleased to see the Moonertys and catch up on their craic,
Saddened to hear Robert had dropped out - injury holding him back.
(Turns out he had broke his toes, then ran for 20 miles
Before he had to retire himself from the race-day trials.)
Hugs goodbye, and on I went to change the clothes I'd brought,
Wet shoes off, and water drank, it was warmer than I thought.
We drove to Bridge of Orchy, as bright sunlight filled the skies,
I stayed behind and Helen and James went to meet the guys.
As time ticked by, I was concerned, this wasn't going to plan,
I felt out of the picture as I sat there in the van.
Eventually, James reappeared - "it's not going well" he said.
"He's hit a slump, he'll be okay, but tough going is ahead."
He went back down with things they'd asked, I read the schedule sheet, Half an hour outside the plan time now, but miles left on his feet.
This is where these runners have to find their strength within,
The tougher hours, exhausted limbs, sore and blistered skin.
Helen and James returned at last, he'd carried on - hurray!
She'd rubbed his calves and quads a lot, and sent him on his way.
He would be fine, his wife explained - 'he gets like this sometimes',
We knew he'd take it carefully on the upcoming climbs.
As we drove from Bridge of Orchy, we turned round for fuel
We bumped into Bob and Amanda here, a complete surprise, but cool.
Amanda would be working at the finish line all night,
Giving massages to finishers, help put those muscles right.
She told us on their run together they'd passed John looking rough,
She'd told him to "man up", she said, she knew that he was tough.
We said goodbyes, and Team Munro got going to Glencoe -
Another chance for a rest, and James would be set to go.
We dozed a bit, and when we roused Helen checked her satellite feed,
It showed he was 2 miles away!!! He must have built up speed!
We flustered then, and quickly got the schedule from the van,
James got ready to swap with George who's support stint would be ran.
| My boys running into Glencoe |
Helen went to buy hot food, and I went down the hill,
I stood with other support crews and we cheered folk on, until
In the distance two runners appeared, one wearing black, one white,
I thought this must be John and George, step forward - yep, I'm right.
"Wow, look at that!" a stranger said "Those guys are really flying!"
If I said now I felt kinda smug, I really wouldn't be lying...!
I stepped up with my camera, my heart swelled as I saw
The pair of them running fast and strong, I couldn't have yelled out more.
They got to the end, where everyone else had stopped and walked uphill,
But not for John, he sprinted past, which gave me such a thrill.
I took chase to the boys as they ran up to the station,
Bleeped his chip, then walked across, all full of elation.
In buoyant mood, he settled down to eat hot haggis and spud,
His feet were needing strapping, but in general he felt good.
He drank a bit of beer here, Helen had promised before
| Helen tells off John about something, as she sorts out his feet and makes him eat haggis and baked potato. Ahhh, married life, huh?? x x |
He said his calves had loosened as he jogged those earlier miles,
George told us speed had increased so well, all of us full of smiles.
Then John looked up, worried, and we had to reassure him, aye,
There really was a large group of nuns drinking nearby.
(A hen party at Glencoe Mountain Resort, really whatever next?
71 miles into his race, no wonder John was perplexed.)
After a rest and some cola, John headed off with James,
George could sit back, with Irn Bru, and fill us in on fun and games.
I purchased another cuppa, we packed up the van and went on,
Onwards to Kinlochleven, keeping an eye out for John.
We chatted lots as we drove away, I think all quite relieved,
Such a vast improvement - although we'd all believed
He would come through the rough patch well, it really was so great
Seeing him run with smiling face, a fabulous update.
So busy chatting and laughing, we missed the turn-off to take,
Took us a while to realise, what a silly mistake!
We turned round for Kinlochleven and we hurried along
He might be there ahead of time if he had stayed strong!
We parked and went to the checkpoint, caught up with others here,
Everyone was buzzing about Paul Giblin's record this year.
Fab to catch up with Julie here, working at the scales,
Then back to the van to get organised, wishing John happy trails.
Time passed by, no sign of John, we went to buy some chips,
A text came in from James implied he'd had some more big dips.
When finally they did arrive we were a bit concerned;
He'd been sick lots and found it tough, energy crashed, we learned.
Helen slowly fed him now with rice pudding bit by bit,
Devils Staircase had been bad; he was shaking and pale, badly hit.
After eating half a choc-ice (open Co-op, just as well!)
It came back up with rice pudding too, over the pavement, oh hell.
Helen took him to the checkpoint, where he could warm through,
Check in, weighed, then sat him down - it was all that we could do.
The rest of us stayed in the van, then chose to get some rest,
We didn't know what would happen now, so this seemed for the best.
Time passed by, and I was woken when Helen came back for food,
He'd had a sleep and woken up in a slightly better mood.
After a sandwich and cuppa, he sat for a while, and James moved,
He'd soon be ready to get going, once his energy levels improved.
Then they were gone, onwards upwards, and Lundavra beckoned for us,
We drove quietly to this section, he'd been at KLL 3 hours plus.
We got a short sleep at Lundavra, before heading along to the fire,
A dozen, or so, other people using the heat to get drier.
In the distance we could see, as little dots shine bright,
Head torches make their way across towards our glowing light.
The marshal played some music for the runners as they came by,
The Rocky theme was such a hit across the dark night sky.
The fire burned and crackled as we waited fingers crossed,
Then suddenly, some moving lights, and all our fears were lost.
John and James were RUNNING now, strength of will defined,
A new man had been born again, Kinlochleven left behind.
He wanted to keep moving on, so didn't stop for long,
Helen got a hug from him, and told us it was strong.
Once again, we all could smile, as we went back to the van,
Fort William our next stop - the last one for our wee clan.
The sun was just about to rise as we started on the drive,
John's epic race was nearly done; he was definitely still alive!
We got parked by the finish steps, and went to say hello
To folk who were around, though Adrian was too asleep to know...
Hi to Ian Beattie, welcoming the finishers as they came,
Everyone looked shattered - all part of this ultra game!
A runner and his girl under the finish arch stopped to kiss,
I got a little bit cross in case John's finish picture I'd miss.
But as I almost said to move, he got down on one knee -
I gasped and grinned as he asked her "will you marry me?"
I don't know what was sweeter - the proposal or the fact
That after 95 miles he could stand and nothing cracked!
Another runner or two arrived to our great delight,
It was great to see their huge smiles shining oh-so-bright.
Then suddenly, across the way, John appeared at a trot,
He ran up to the finish steps as we all cheered a lot.
His smile as he handed across his chip and then hugged Helen tight
Was worth the day of ups and downs, a thousandfold - damn right.
So proud of him, and what he did in getting to that line,
In 27:34 - a pretty epic time.
The more I'd learned across the day, the more impressed I was
With EVERY runner, crew and more, all there "just because".
Ian Beattie and his team put on such a huge event,
And all the volunteers are like angels, heaven-sent.
"It's dangerous supporting," Marco Consani once told me. "You'll want to run it too, next year." - eh, no, it's not for me!!!
The training these people go through to be in shape to run
95 miles of epic terrain through rise and set of the sun
Really can't be undersold - the feat is just intense.
My admiration knows no bounds, it really is immense.
Well done to ALL who ran or crewed, or volunteered their time;
And I'll be back next year, I'm sure... Just maybe not in rhyme!
Back in real life, what have I learned? It really can't be measured.
My time amongst these Goblet owners will be forever treasured.
The human spirit is capable of much more than I knew,
Maybe strength of will, perhaps, is down inside me too.
And though I'm not remotely near the level of these elite,
I'll use their heart and focus, and feel them in my feet.
| Team Munro at the finish. :) |

:-D you didn't mention the crappy boring views lol!
ReplyDeleteOh, the scenery was just too dull to bring up... ;-) x x
Deletebrilliant report,and it took me a wee while to realise it was poetry! lol sorry, still sleep deprived. Thanks for the cheers xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Sandra, you got a mention in an earlier draft but I couldn't get the rhyme to scan properly, lol. Every time I saw you you looked great, well done on a fabulous run. x x x
DeleteFantastic Blog. Best poetry ever
ReplyDeleteDonald
Thank you! I had a great time writing it. :)
Delete