Monday, 26 January 2015

69/100 - stress testing

I guess this is my first big test of the year - how I deal with my nutrition and exercise when I'm stressed and busy with work. Firstly, I'm trying to not be stressed, not only because it's not fun, but also because stress increases cortisol and elevated cortisol is linked to obesity. I dont have the studies to link here, but I've read it countless times from people who have. :-) Anyway, I'm trying to be calmer in general, however I fully admit there are going to be times when I'm not at my best, and it's important I deal with decision-making appropriately at times like this, and don't let myself get overwhelmed, and end up drowning my sorrows in junkfood. When I'm tired, emotional and overwhelmed, sensible decision-making goes out of the window.

So, this week is really the first proper test here, as every day this week is going to be hectic, and there are underlying work things that will be creating stress and bad feeling for a while (or rather, that I will be incorrectly allowing myself to feel bad and stressed about! "Things" don't stress people, people choose to be stressed by them....). I didn't get out of work tonight until almost 7pm, but I stuck to my food plans today, and managed to get a brisk lunchtime 2 mile walk in the cold sunshine done, to stretch my legs and listen to music to calm my mind for a bit. I made the effort to make sure I wasn't letting things get to me, and although it's a constant viligence, to an extent, it's one I have to focus on for quite some time to come. :-) I feel tired now (it's 10:20pm, way past my bedtime) but tomorrow is my two-workout day, and I find myself looking forward to it. The less activity I manage, the worse I feel. Huh. Who knew???!! Oh, right, yeah... everyone...

Positive head on, and things are going well. I'm pleased with how I'm not letting this stuff get me down, but it's going to be hard work keeping on top of it. This year is all about hard work, though, and I ain't afraid. Night night. x

(...oh aye, the shopping thing.... I'll write that tomorrow. x)

2 comments:

  1. I feel that Yoda would be nodding approvingly, force is growing strong in you young Sarah ;-)

    Mindfulness can be hard to grasp, and hard to practice when you need it most - I know at time I also find myself stressing about things that don't help to get stressed about, but you look to be doing quite a few things right to start getting on top of handling the ups and downs of a stressful environment. Well done!

    Walks in nature are known to be particularly good for lowering stress. Bird song and spotting wildlife are my particular favourites for helping elevate my mood. Yesterday I got to see a small herd of roe deer on my run and it was so inspiring to see them bound up the hill around me, rather put my own efforts to shame, but even now I can picture them in their element and it lifts me up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning at the gym I also got to do some padwork with my trainer, and smacking a gloved fist into something over and over really seems to help with the stress levels, haha.

      Thanks for this - and for also reminding me I do need to do a bit more naturey things. In the city, there are still some opportunities for wildlife type situations, but you have to find them, and while it's dark in the morning/evening, it's too easy to say "I've not got the time". I need to make the time, I guess!! Think I'll just book a day off work sometime in the very near future and get out into the world. :-)

      Delete