Yesterday's gym session was a great upper body programme, that covered things such as incline press-ups, chest flys, barbell rows, shoulder raises, and so on. It was designed to be manageable, with supersets, and kicked off with a killer intervals session on the rowing machine too - however it was designed for the gym I normally go to, so I had to make some minor adjustments for the fact that last night I was doing it in the office gym which doesn't have as much equipment. I managed better than I thought, though I know I took too long on the rests between sets. The only exercise I really struggled with was the lateral dumbbell raise - I was only using two 4kg dumbbells, but trying to raise my arms out straight at shoulder height without bending them was a killer after a few reps!! I have such weak shoulders, lol.
The programme is not a strength-gain type programme, it's designed around my goal of weightloss and toning up etc. Comparing what I was doing to what my workout buddy was doing on her strength programme was interesting. Heavy weights, short reps, all using the bars, keep it moving. It's interesting working out alongside someone with totally different goals to you, and a totally different level of skill, and I'm enjoying the company.
Today I'm having a rest day. Originally that wasn't my plan for a Wednesday, but this morning I woke up and realised the dishes are piling up in the sink, the fridge is empty, and the laundry basket is full - so a night of food shop, and houswork, is on the cards. It's quite amazing how much more dirty cookware builds up when I actually... y'know... cook! Maybe my next flat should have a dishwasher. ;-) Anyway, additionally tomorrow morning I have the second half of my fitness test to do before breakfast. So, rest day it is!!
Poor weather today also means I took the car to work, which will impact my pedometer goal. I did catch a break in the weather at lunchtime for a short walk, but I think in total I'll probably reach about 7000 steps today - unless I walk around the supermarket tonight a few dozen times in search of an elusive product or two, haha! Joking aside, sometimes it's all about finding exercise where you can, and perhaps if I park at the furthest end of the supermarket car park, and a few more little things like that, I could get my step count up close to that 10,000 step goal. Make a few more trips to the office printer than usual, perhaps. ;-) We'll see how things go. Tomorrow morning I'll weigh in and see how my first 7 days in 2015 went. My calorie count has been less than 1400 every day, which seems way less than what I should be eating, but honestly hasn't been planned that way. I'm eating three proper meals a day, and not snacking on very much at all in between, and adding up kcals at the end of the day. I'm not great at planning a day's nutrition in advance, but I wonder how sustainable weightloss is at that level. x
Wow 1400 calories is a diddy amount compared to what I shovel in! How you feeling on it?
ReplyDeleteWell done on sticking to three meals and no snacking. 2015 looks to be going well so far... except for the washing up and the weather :-)
I'm hazarding a guess you exercise a lot more than me, though!! :-) So far, feeling alright. It's the mental bits that are challenging me - not going to my usual "go to" junk treats and daily habits, and having to walk past my usual favourites in shops. Hopefully this will get a litlte easier over time, as I build NEW habits to replace the old ones. But physically, yeah, I'm feeling okay - certainly not hungry by the time I get to bed.
DeleteThe weather can p*ss right off, haha.
What a great start to the year. I wouldn't worry too much about the calories at the moment. The great thing is you have momentum and hopefully a good weight loss this week. As you gain confidence that your plan is working I'm sure you will add in more nuts and avocados and such like which will naturally bring the calorie intake up :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks love. Yep, I'm just keeping an eye on things at the moment, and I'll see how I go. :-)
Delete