Saturday, 24 January 2015

New (to me) parkrun day

I started a post at lunchtime yesterday, but didn't get very far, there's some unpleasant and difficult things going on at work at the moment that have kept me somewhat distracted and busy the last day or two. Then, with only an hour's notice, I was invited for a post-work cuppa and chat; I normally really hate last minute plans, because they make me uncomfortable and confused (I know, that's daft, but hey, social anxieties are just another one of the many things I'm fixing this year) but after a couple of horrible days at work, I decided it would be a good way to unwind. Of course, my blog went out of my mind, and by the time I got home and made dinner, I was kind of exhausted and didnt think of it once. It's no excuse, really, but there you have it. I also got very little exercise done yesterday, although my food intake was okay.

Today I went to a new (to me) parkrun location - St Andrews. A few reasons why I picked this one, probably not worth going into really, but mostly around: weather, weather and weather. Turns out I picked pretty well - the roads weren't bad with ice, had clearly been gritted, and the sky was blue and clear. The parkrun is in a lovely little park with a lake, and ran mostly on gravel paths, with a bit on grass/mud. It's a three-and-a-bit lap course, which I quite like, because I tend to get a bit of motivation when people come past me, with a couple of undulations/hills, none of which are particularly scary. I ran/walked, and finished in the uninspiring time of 41:07 - I know I can get better than this, but today I was just glad to be getting some exercise, in the cold air, bright sunshine, and friendly atmosphere of a parkrun. This picture is use with permission, "(c) stealthy", from the parkrun volunteers.


So it's a parkrun I'll defiintely do again sometime, even though it's a slightly longer drive than the one-hour circle I normally stay within. I want to build my confidence running again, and doing new courses and challenges, are part of that. I know the next time I do it, I'll be running faster, but I'll have to plan it well, because I'm still unable to find a pair of trail shoes to fit my stupid feet, and the grassy/muddy bit of the course would be a bit difficult to run on if wet. Today it was frozen and so very firm underfoot, without being slippy. Friendly people there too - i was on my own, so I didn't stay for a post-run cuppa and chat, but maybe next time.

On the subject of food, things are still going well. I realise some of the habits I got into last year when I wasn't really properly cooking are not actually around the food itself, but washing the dishes!! I'm creating a crazy amount of dishes to wash, now I'm regularly cooking, and taking food into work every day, etc. I'm temped just to buy more Tupperware rather than have to clean the leaning tower next to the sink, but I know I just need to roll up my sleeves and get on with it. :-) I need to get into the habit of washing dishes every single day, instead of waiting until the sink is piled high and I've no pans left to scramble eggs in! It's funny, as I make large changes to my food and exercise this year, it turns out there are plenty of other little things I have to address as I go along, as well....!! But still I continue. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment