Saturday, 17 January 2015

61/100 - snow stops play

Paula is up visiting Glasgow for the weekend, and so we agreed that I would go across this morning and we'd do parkrun together, followed by a swim, then lunch and motivating chit-chat. Last night, though, the weather changed in Glasgow, and thick snowfall together with freezing temperatures meant that roads were treacherous, and driving conditions just too hazardous. Sadly, this morning, I was forced to cancel those plans. The trains were still running, so I went through to see her anyway, and we decided we'd catch up, have a walk, then have some food. The walk coincided with another heavy snowfall!!! But we kept walking, haha, because we're both totally hardcore and focussed, of course!!

Cutting a long story short, I ended up recording over 25,000 steps on my pedometer today! That's the highest since I bought it back in April, which I'm thrilled about. I'm really tired this evening, but it's a good tired, and although I'm frustrated I didn't get the run and swim, it was still a brilliant day.

We talked a lot about our goals, and current food and exercise routines. We have very different goals, ability levels, and lifestyles, but we have a very similar mindset about a lot of things, and read a lot of the same things, listen to a lot of the same podcasts, and are completely supportive of each other - it's one of those friendships that writers are talking about when they say "surround yourself with the right people". :-)

My food choices were okay today - eating out, you have a little less control, but it's all about choosing sensibly, without feeling you're denying yourself. There are loads of tips out there in the wide world, if you look for them, but ultimately it's about commonsense. Choose things that are grilled rather than fried, dont order "extras" like bread or onion rings etc, ask for sauces/dressings on the side, that kind of thing. In the past, I learned that I don't have to pick the "healthiest" thing on a menu as long as I'm sensible about the meal as a whole - doing trade-offs like don't have starter AND dessert, or don't have dessert AND wine, and so on. And as the theme of this year is using everything I've learned over the last 5 years or more, to have a successful year, success strategies like this are part of that.

Anyway, I'm struggling to keep my eyes open now, although it's only 9pm, so I'm off! x x

1 comment:

  1. Wow 25000 steps! We did do a lot of walking. So lovely to see you :-)

    ReplyDelete