The plus side about getting all this exercise, and walking to work and back etc. is that by the time I get to bed, I'm out like a light. This was especially beneficial last night, as the country was plagued with high winds and rain, keeping many awake, and knocking down fences and large street bins, etc. I slept straight through the night, as my flat actually rocked slightly in the higher gusts, and rain battered at the windows. I definitely feel quietly smug, but as someone who often suffers from anxiety-related insomnia, I don't count my chickens. I'm happy to get plenty of sleep when I can!! Additionally, it's important I fall asleep easily enough because I've got back into the habit of a 5am alarm call again, this year. I do this on mornings I'm due to exercise before work, and to make sure my body gets used to the new rhythms I also get up at that time on non-exercise days. The only day I don't is Sundays, when I get up when I wake up. (It's normally still before 7.) Unless I have somewhere to go, of course.
Speaking of somewhere to go, I'm a bit torn about tomorrow - I'm signed up for the Bupa Great Winter Run, a 5km lap around Queens Drive in Holyrood Park (a very hilly loop skirting around Arthurs Seat) - the weather forecast suggests sleet, high winds, and bitter cold. I'm not really at 5km running standard at the moment, as was seen by my last parkrun effort, but a 'Great Run' is normally popular enough that there are plenty of slower folk mostly walking at the back. I can't decide whether I should just wrap up well and go and run/walk it, undoubtedly in a rubbish time, just to burn the kcals and get some good exercise (and a medal! lol), or whether I would end up just too miserable and unhappy, and potentially have a negative effect on my current positivity and motivation going into next week. It's a really tough one - would I feel happy with myself for having given a go, no matter how awful it was (note, this is not normally how my brain works, so I'm not sure why I think it might be different this time...), or would it be better for me to give the race a miss and go do a workout with a shorter run on the treadmill and other stuff in the gym instead? It's really not an easy decision given my general mental state about running for the last 15 months, and I'll be honest, I don't think I'll decide until I open my eyes tomorrow morning - in the meantime, I'm taking today as a pre-race rest day regardless.
No comments:
Post a Comment