So part of my goals for 2015 is rediscovering my own running pace, and building back to where I should be. I'll expand a bit on this another day perhaps, but I've separately discussed it with Paula, Ben and probably Davie, and I think it's the right thing to do - use what I've learned motivates me, and do my own thing, rather than what others expect of me (or what I think others expect of me) or "advise" me to do. I've learned that i have the confidence to say no, when people tell me how to train, how to run, how to set goals, etc - what works for them works for them, and won't necessarily work for me. I've learned over time that what motivates me is seeing progress, and building on it. I'm not the sort of person who sees failure as a new obstacle to overcome, who sees a poor performance as something to inspire me to push harder next time, or who gets a knockback and thinks "ha, I'll show them!" - I need to see that I'm achieving things, and that builds more belief to continue. Believe it or not, it took me a long time to figure that out - but in the meantime I also had to build up my knowledge.
I seek out knowledge and guidance in as many different places as I can, and in the past that's possibly overwhelmed me a little, following the latest ideas that someone presented to me, or I read in a magazine, not understanding which bits really referred to me, and which just wouldn't work. I think now I'm going into a new year really knowing what's going to work for me. That won't stop me seeking advice, guidance and knowledge, from people (that's qualified and otherwise), books, the Internet, podcasts, and magazines. I think whats different is now I feel confident that I can use (or NOT use) that knowledge and guidance appropriately for me. And for helping and supporting others too, because regardless if I read something that I know isn't right for me, it might be perfect for sharing with someone else. That's the thing with exercise, running, nutrition, and all that - what works for one won't necessarily work for all, and as obvious as that sounds, I've spent a long time trying to fit in with what others tell me, and now I'm using 5 years of experience in this weightloss journey I'm on to help guide me forward with a lot more confidence than I've had.
Today, I went to the gym, just did some basic cardio work, but threw a 1km treadmill time trial in, just to see where I am. I did it in 7:35, which isn't great (my PB is 5:53), but is definitely enough for where I am now, and also when I finished I was tired but not exhausted, and I know I could have given more. So, that's actually promising for the next one - the next one I do will probably be my Start Point for 2015, and that run is one of my first goals to work on. I'll come back to goals later - at the moment, my head is just FULL of all this exciting stuff to get me through this Festive Food season, and safely out the other side ready to go. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment