Yesterday I went along to the gym in the morning, and this was the workout I did:
1) Warm up: 1km treadmill brisk walk - 10:20
2) Bench press, 2 x 8kg dumbbells - 10 reps, x 2
3) Seated single arm shoulder press, 2 x 8kg dumbbells - 5 reps each side
4) Bench press, 2 x 10kg dumbbells - 8 reps, x 2
5) Seated cable row, single arm, 15.5kg - 6 reps each side, x 3
6) Seated cable row, 25kg - 10 reps, x 2
7) TRX row, 10 reps then 5 reps at a deeper angle (one foot further forward), then step back and 10 reps again
8) Powerplate plank (35/low vibration) - 45 secs
9) Step-ups onto plate (no vibration) with 15kg bar on back - 10 reps leading with left foot, then 10 leading with right.
10) Repeat 8 and 9
11) Treadmill - 1km run - 7:41
12) Stretches (quads, glutes, hip flexors, calves, hamstrings)
13) Cool down: 1km treadmill brisk walk - 10:16
The 1km time trial surprised me - I was a lot slower than I'd hoped (my PB is 5:53), but even with this run I was absolutely done in after it. I had to do some stretches after it, because it was all I could do to go lie down! Anyway, it's an indicator of where I am, I guess!! It was a positive session, regardless - I definitely felt like I'd worked out when I left. This morning I got up early and headed back to the gym. This morning's workout went along these lines:
1) Warm up: 6 minutes on cross-trainer, level 5
2) Seated cable row, 25kg - 10 reps
3) Deadlift, 20kg - 10 reps
4) Repeat 2 and 3, twice
Circuit:
5) Bosu burpees - 45 secs
6) Step-ups, right foot onto 18inch step with high knee-lift of left leg - 45 secs
7) Crunches - 45 secs
8) Mountain climbers (bosu) - 45 secs
9) Step-ups, left foot onto 18inch step with high knee-lift of right leg - 45 secs
10) Plank - 45 secs
11) Press-ups (modified, knees on floor) - 45 secs
12) Step-ups, as before, but with alternating sides - 45 secs
13) Repeat circuit (5 to 12), 30 secs each.
14) Moving along the 15 metre floor 'ladder' - on line 1, 1 goblet squat with 16kg kettlebell held to chest, back to start, then on line 2, 2 kettlebell swings with 14kg kettlebell, back to start. Then line 3, 3 goblet squats, and so on. By the 15th line, I had done: 16 squats with 16kg KB, 48 squats bodyweight only, 56 swings of 14kg KB, plus brisk walking of approx. 240 metres.
15) Treadmill - 5 mins run - 0.62km
Pretty exhausting, but in a good way. I was off work today (a holiday Monday for St Andrews Day) so I got to go have a wander round the supermarket while I was feeling virtuous (but hungry! lol) and ended up bringing home a stupid amount of curly kale, along with other things. I'm sure I was thinking logically... but tonight's dinner is definitely going to include it! Later in the day, after lunch had digested a bit, I headed out for a run with Tor. She's not terribly well at the moment, and is going stir crazy from not being able to get out running, so because she in enforced to plod, and I am... well, just slow! it's the perfect match, lol!!
We headed to Portobello seafront, and went along the prom running 2 minutes, walking 2 minutes. We did 7 sets of that - I stopped my watch after the 7th run, not recording the last bit of walking back to the car, so 26 minutes - and we covered 3km in that time. So, ploddy, but all 7 sets were okay. I was glad of the walking bits too, of course! The running sections appear to have been averaging just a little faster than 12 minute mile pace - I definitely need to pick up my running again, and get back my speed over the shorter distances, but this was good for the 3rd workout in 2 days. Plus the company was lovely!!
So tonight I'm going to have kale (not sure what with, yet - there's some chicken in the fridge, cook-from-frozen salmon steaks in the freezer, and lean steak mince needing cooking. I guess I'd best go make a decision. Back to work tomorrow, so I'll cook double, and have leftovers to avoid any food prep faffing in the morning. Gettin' my positivity back. x
Wow I feel like I've burnt a couple hundred Calories just trying to read all the different items you're putting in your gym workouts!
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't worry about the 1km time trial, doing it at the end of your workout will have affected the result and getting back into something after a while away will always feel far tougher. Next time you do it there is good chance the time will come down a bit and you won't be so wiped out by it.
I'd suggest replacing the static stretches with dynamic ones, or simply drop the stretches and extend the walking warm down. Static stretches are an injury risk that we can all do without.
All these little bits of effort will be improving your fitness, it'll be interesting to see how you progress with the time trials, weights that you can lift but most importantly how you feel progress.
As for kale, I had some for lunch with potato, liver and leeks. The liver and kale are packed full of nutrients. In the case of liver so full that you don't want to eat more than once a week.
Haha, variety is the spice of life!! :-) Really, circuits like that mean you get to work different parts of the body, but keeping up a speed/intensity that means its a pretty good cardio workout too. I prefer doing circuits to get my heart rate up than spending hours on an elliptical trainer or stationary bike, and the variety keeps things interesting. Plus, less likelihood of DOMS, because I'm not using any one muscle group to exhaustion.
DeleteYeah, stretches is one of those very controversial subjects, with research out there to support every view going, haha. I tend to do dynamic stretches before exercise (if I do any), and static ones after, when the muscles are warm. It works for me, and I like to include stretches on the vibrating powerplate which seem to help. I think! Anyway, I know I don't do enough, and certainly probably need to do something like foam rolling, because my calf muscles particularly aere always really tight. It's something I continue to explore, I've read a lot of literature on the subject, and taken guidance from qualified personal trainers, and so far things are okay... ish. :-) No injuries, anyway.
The only problem I can see with getting nutrients from liver is... well, you have to eat liver. Bleugh!!! :-) Kale is good stuff, though!