Blown away. Absolutely thrilled to read that - my support at races is not done to get recognition, it's kinda the opposite - I'm there to recognise the awesomeness of everyone else out there putting themselves through the challenges that come with ultra running. But to see that someone put my name forward, I was absolutely ecstatic. Then I read it again, and started to laugh. Wanna take a guess how many of the SUMS races I marshaled at in this last season??? Go on.... Guess.... Out of 17, would you think 14? 11 maybe? How about 9? ....well, no. One. Just one; the Fling. I attended three other as a runner's support crew (WHW Race, Devil, and Glenmore) and attended two others as just a cheerful spectator (Glasgow to Edinburgh, and John Lucas). So, a little bit embarrassed, and a little bit amused, I clearly have one of those presences at these races that makes people think they've seen me loads - I do try to pop up a few times around courses when I can, haha!!! However, regardless of the numbers, it's been my absolute privilege to offer support, cheering and encouragement to everyone at all the events I've been at, and online via facebook for those I've not. I make the effort to get to know who people are, so I can cheer them by name if I can. It's the least I can do. And in this new SUMS year, I'll be definitely marshalling at more events - already lined up to be a volunteer at 3 races, and crewing at others, and there will be more to come. I feel part of the family, part of the big, disfunctional, insane family - and whatever small part I can play in helping inspirational people be amazing, I'll do it.
So, yesterday, still glowing inside after reading the newsletter, I got home early and found the mail had been delivered. Gerry, who I crewed for at Glenmore24, had joked a couple of weeks ago why didn't I have a Glenmore medal on my Christmas Tree - at least, I'd thought it was a joke. Until a Christmas card arrived in my flat, and when I opened it, his medal fell into my hands. Absolutely gobsmacked - I think I just stared at it for a minute or two. It's now on my tree. He really, really didn't have to do that - he's the one who earned that medal; for 24 hours I just poured the occasional mug of soup, passed him a jacket or head torch, and generally kept telling him how awesome he was. *shrugs* Not exactly tough. I guess, though, that I don't really think about how a runner sees the support crew, because I've never been in that position. In some races, it's a vital role, and one I do willingly. Being upbeat, supportive, and trying to preempt the needs of your runner, it's all part of the job, and one I continue to develop in. It definitely helps when you get to support a runner who is just downright amazing in the first place - they inspire and motivate me, and I want to help them be successful. Over the last few years, starting with Davie and Craig at Perth 50km, then going on to include John, Andy, Julie, Amanda, Dave, James and Gerry, I've crewed, or helped crew, for fantastic people and great runners, and I will continue to do so as long as they keep asking me, lol. Who knows, one day I might need one of them to crew for me... *laughs hysterically*PS. Gerry also sent me some rude sweeties and cheeky stationery. You don't get photos of them, hehe!
I love you lots but you're not getting my Ironman medal lol!
ReplyDeleteSo pleased you had a wonderful Saturday. I thought it might be good as the plant you bought me a few back flowered yesterday :-)