Another good workout tonight, this time focussing on chest and shoulders. I'm really quite pleased I'm getting back into lifting like this, it's making my confidence slowly return, and I know that's what will help with my running as well, as I start doing more of that during gym sessions. Today was all about the weights though, and I got a bit of good advice from Rowan on my bench press form, which I'll have to work on. Ben, my trainer at the gym, has already started working on how I hold the bar, and we did more of that tonight, but I also got a bit more advice on my form that I'll be able to work on. So, today's workout went along these lines...
1) warm-up, 12kg kettlebell swings x15, x2
2) Shoulder press (dumbbell hammer hold), 2 x 6kgs, x 10 reps
3) Clean and press with Olympic bar (20kg), x 10 reps
4) repeat 3 and 4
5) Flat bench fly, 2 x 6kg Dumbbells, x 15 reps, x2
6) Bench press - 20kg, 8 reps - 25kg, 6 reps - 27.5kg, 5 reps - 30kg, 1 rep (failed on 2) - 30kg, 2 reps (failed on 3)
7) Kettlebell single arm clean and press, 8kg, 7 reps each side.
I found the 30kgs tough today, on the failed lifts I got the bar down to my chest, just couldn't quite manage to get it back up! I've got some great tips to work on, though, and I also got a bit of coaching with my clean and press too! Mainly that I wasn't being explosive enough - I can fix that, I noticed I'm much more explosive through a kettlebell clean than I am with a bar.
Good to spend more time with Rowan, she's good to work out with; I'm nowhere near her level, but she doesn't make me feel rubbish at all, just supports what I'm doing, and gives me plenty of advice (checking I was okay with that!!!). It's a gym I've not worked out in before, not too bad, and turns out you even bump into random ultrarunners while you're there....!! :-) We're going to work out every week - once week she'll come to my office, the other I'll go to hers. Should be good! Just really nice to feel so positive about my workouts again. The stuff I'm doing with Ben in the gym, sessions on my own, with Rowan, a weekly run with Tor, parkrun on a Saturday, and so on - I'm building up a nice new routine again, and getting structure into my training. It's flippin' brilliant. x
No comments:
Post a Comment