Tuesday, 9 December 2014

23/100 - two-gym Tuesday

Plans. Plans are good, right? Plans are awesome. That's if plans don't get changed at short notice, as has been with my fitness plans with other people over the last couple of days. Today, my evening workout partner cancelled - but I went ahead with a bit of a workout anyway. I'd had a decent session in the morning, so the evening was a bit more restrained - all the same, it took every single ounce of willpower not to stop at the chipshop on the way home! Two workouts, that means more food right??!! (Sigh) I stayed strong. (Yay!)

I'm thinking really hard about this morning's workout, to try and remember, but it was 14 hours ago and I've had a busy day, and my brain is currently going: "huh?" - so, hopefully I'll be close. I really need to be better at writing stuff down as soon as the workout's done, lol! So this is how I think it went....

1) 5 minute cross-trainer warm-up

2) deadlifts: 20kg x 10, 30kg x 10, 30kg x 10, 35kg x 10, 40kg x 10

3) inverted bodyweight row - 10 reps x 5

4) Lat pulldowns, 32kgs - 8 reps x 3
5) seated cable row, 27kgs - 8 reps x 2

6) battle ropes, 60secs (3 different moves for 20s each) - x 3

7) rowing machine - 30 secs row, 15 secs rest, x 4
8) stepper machine, 3 mins @level 6


I was really struggling with the stepper machine, so put my hands on the heart rate monitor, and it showed 195!! Ooops. I really, really need to get my weight down and cardio fitness up! But in general, it was a decent session today - I was getting some decent body angle on the inverted row (which I was doing on the smith machine) and I was pleased with how the deadlift was going. I wonder what my one-rep max will be for deadlift? I'll try and find out sometime soon.

A busy day at work followed, including a meeting that went well (which always gives me a little boost), but my evening workout plans got changed when my new friend called off, as she's not well. I thought it was important I went anyway, since I'm trying to get structure in my week - but I was pretty tired, and realised that a cardio session wasn't on the cards. I'll do that tomorrow! My evening workout went as follows:

1) 5 minute treadmill warm-up, brisk walk

2) Squats - 20kg x 10, 20kg x 10, 30kg x 10, 35kg x 10

3) standing cable oblique twist - 15kg, x 10 each side, x 2

4) step-ups with 15kg bar on shoulders, x 20 (alternating lead foot)
5) bench press with 15kg barbell - 20 'fast'
6) repeat 4 and 5

7) 5 minute cross-trainer cool-down


For a short workout, I was pleased with it - I stuck with the slightly lower weights at the squat rack, and focussed more on the depth of my squat, and my form. The last couple of reps were tough going, which is a sign I was at the 'right' challenging weight for me. :-)

Way more proud of the fact I avoided the 'easy option' of getting a takeaway for dinner on the way home, than these two decent workouts in one day, though: it's been a successful day all round, but I continue to be a work in progress. Key word: progress.

1 comment:

  1. Walking past a chippy when hungry and tired, Well done :-)

    I wonder if having something specific in mind for dinner when you get home will help resist the urge for a takeaway, the more delicious the meal the easier it'll be.

    Perhaps having a healthy, filling drink before you head back from, or even to drink on the route home might make it easier as well. A home-made yoghurt drink kept in the fridge at work would hit lots of bases, it's something I make for my ultras - half cherry juice half yoghurt is the mix I usually go for. A chocolate milkshake works well for me too, although not quite as healthy as the yoghurt drink. Avoid shop bought yoghurt drinks as they are typically packed full of sugar and preservatives.

    On the enticing food front, don't worry about lean mince, go for the normal mince. Fat in meat has healthy mix of fats and helps you absorb vitamins. Cut the fat out and you loose flavour and end up less nourished. If you want to balance the calories then simply cut down on the carb component of your meal.

    On the carbs front, non starchy veg are close to net zero carbs once you have fully digested them - processing the fibre in veg in the large intestine uses up a similar amount of glucose as the small intestine obtains from the veg. This means you can eat as much peppers, marrow, greens etc. as you like and never put on any weight!

    Starchy veg is a different issue, they have lots of carbs. Anything made from grains also have lots of carbs. So each of these need to be eaten in moderations and accompanied with protein and fat in the meal to reduce the overall GI to avoid an insulin spike.

    Ooops, sorry for writing another essay!

    ReplyDelete