In the gym, there are a couple of exercises that I really, really dislike. Sadly, they're pretty 'good' activities, so when I've had personal trainers, they've been brought into my sessions and I have no say on the matter! (Though I'll manage a bit of sweariness...) - Burpees are one, but I do them because I know they're a really great exercise, they're just horrible, lol. Another, that I've kept my opinions quiet about with my current Personal Trainer for fear of him making me do them, made an appearance today regardless. And I think, actually, I hate this one more than burpees. Today's session went like this...
1) 5 minute cross-trainer warm-up, level 5
Circuit
2) Squats with 20kg barbell on shoulders - 45 secs
3) Lunges with 2 x 8kg dumbbells, alternating legs - 45 secs
4) Bosu mountain climbers - 45 secs
5) Abs: 'Flutter kicks' lying on my back - 45 secs
6) Abs: bicycle crunches - 45 secs
7) Repeat 2-6, two more times.
8) Stationary bike - 4 mins, level 8
Circuit
9) Lat pulldown, underarm grasp, 25kgs - 45 secs
10) TRX incline press-ups - 45 secs
11) Tricep dips - 45 secs
12) Wall sit - 45 secs
13) Repeat 9-12, but instead of (11), Tricep cable pushdowns, rope hold, 9kgs for 30 secs, going down to 4.5kgs for last 15 secs
14) 5 minute cross-trainer cool-down, level 6
15) Stretches, lower body
Wall sits. Wall. Sits. Bane of my bloody life. I've managed to get away with not doing any for a couple of years, so of course they're horrible when I try them again!!! If you don't know what they are, here's a random example I found on the internet. It's all about getting your legs at that 90ยบ angle, and just HOLDING there. There is no pain on the face of the person doing it in that picture, so I can only assume they got away with staying in place for 6 seconds until the photo was taken. *shrugs* I'm amused by the article saying "If that's too easy for you..." - eh?!! Fuck off. Fuck. Right. Off.
Anyway.... other things to be taken from this morning's session - my cardio fitness continues to let me down, but is something that I know I can fix with effort and determination. The flutterkicks ab exercise was ridiculously difficult for me - my core isn't terribly strong, and for some reason it sent my heart rate rocketing, just lying on the floor with my feet both very, very slightly raised, doing tiny little kicks for 45 seconds. I couldn't keep them going for more than 10 seconds without a rest... I think I can fix this, by doing it more often, but aaaargh it sucked! lol. The second circuit, I had to abandon the tricep dips (off the non-vibrating powerplate base, the height of a low bench) because my wrists were hurting too much: partly, I think I just have weak wrists, but partly I shouldn't expect my tiny wrists to take the weight of almost 92kgs-worth of Sarah, although of course it's the triceps that should be the bits working the hardest.
I'll still call it a good session, regardless of the hateful wall sits, because it was varied, challenging and kept my heart rate up - but I was a wee bit sweary, and whingey, haha. At one point, I even whined "I can't believe I'm paying you to do this to me..." - ahhhh, the joys of personal training!!
Cardio for the weekend, I think, and back to weights/circuits on Monday. I'm getting a lot out of these gym sessions, and am really pleased I'm getting back into a good routine - I need to build on this, and pick things up a bit more, building my confidence and increasing my efforts, and little by little, I'll get to where I want to be. :-)
(I had chips for lunch. I don't know why.)
No comments:
Post a Comment