Last night, my plan for today was a big long gym session. When I woke up this morning, I just felt completely out of sorts and disinterested in the whole idea. I know a lot of people would say this is when I should dig in, and get out to the gym anyway, but I decided that I can manage a rest day as long as I didn't beat myself up for it. And actually, how I ended up spending my day was a million times more beneficial. (Roughly. I may be slightly exaggerating... lol)
At first I sat in my pigsty of a flat, drinking tea and refreshing facebook as I watched for updates on The Hill Ultra (a seriously hardcore ultra marathon; I knew one of the competitors this year, which always makes following a race online more exciting - well done Mike Raffan for an amazing run!) - until I looked around at the chaotic mess, and decided today was a good day to do some decluttering, cleaning, and tidying up. I washed a couple of machine-loads of clothes, washed all the dirty dishes piling high in the sink, and went around the flat with a binbag. Well, two actually. By the time I'd tidied up, and cleaned, and done a huge whack of decluttering, I was feeling lighter emotionally, with a sweat on - I will definitely call that a win. When I feel overwhelmed in my mind, it's often reflected in the state of my living surrounds, and so clearing a load of rubbish, paperwork, clothing, dishes, magazines, shopping, etc. away, will help calm my mind a bit. There's still a fair bit more decluttering to do, and a bag of stuff to donate to a charity shop, but I'll chip away at it. Giving myself credit for working on this aspect of my journey, and not damning myself for giving the gym a miss, gives me - to quote a familiar Blur song - "a sense of enormous well being". And who can argue with that?
Gym tomorrow, and my busy exercise week kicks off - gym workouts (including a treadmill session) by myself, personal training, a run with Tor, weights with Rowan, parkrun on Saturday - it's all go. In a good way. x
No comments:
Post a Comment