I might have mentioned recently that I realised I don't walk enough any more - years back, when I lose my weight the first time, I walked more than 20 miles a week, every week, and it was great for me. So I agreed to do a walk-every-day challenge for December, at least 30 mins consecutively. Today being the last day of November I was going to head to the gym, but I woke up feeling a little sluggish and off-colour, so as the sun was shining brightly in a clear, crisp winter sky, I wrapped myself up warm, and headed into town by foot.
I brought my digital radio, and my Garmin, and walked a slightly longer route, and stopped briefly for a cup of tea and to write a Christmas card, after a short while. I kept my pace strong and steady, and thought about my posture while I walked - it felt good to put some pace in, though I kept getting stressed when I had to stop at a junction to wait for a clear road to cross, haha! :) Didn't the drivers know I was on a workout, not just a stroll into town??!!
I headed home, taking a longer route with some hills in, and in total I walked 7.7 miles, in just over 2 hours. Really pleased with that, I must try to keep a similar sort of pace in ALL my December walks - or at least, the ones I do on pavements. Might be different if I get a couple of trail walks in, but regardless, the point is to burn kcals and get some steady, consistent exercise. - Oh, and to NOT forget about the gym, swimming, and running too, of course!!!!
I love the sound of your walking plan. I often forget this but it is absolutely true in my life that 'going for a walk' often just helps to unstick a problem; be it an exercise rut, a dispute with a friend or just general bllaaaaahs. Sounds like a healthy December for you. Cels. xx
ReplyDeleteThanks hon'. I'm hoping it will also help build some better habits for getting from a to b in the city. :) x
ReplyDelete