Wednesday, 14 November 2012

54/100 - a suprising disappointment

Okay, so the heading refers to the second part of today's post. The first part is a decent workout at the gym before work this morning. It really got my heart rate up, in the kettlebells section, and I felt like I was getting a lot out of it. Today's workout: (Nice session.)

1) 6 minutes cross-trainer warm-up

2) Chest press (machine) - 20kg, x 15, x 2 sets
3) Lat pulldown (machine) - 30kg, x 15, x 2 sets

4) Single-hand swings, 12kg kettlebell - x 30 (alternating sides)
5) Front squats with 8kg kettlebell - x 20
6) Single-hand swings, 16kg kettlebell - x 20 (alternating sides)
7) Front squats with 8kg kettlebell - x 20
8) Repeat 4, 5, 6, 7
9) Repeat 4,5

10) Seated pulley - single arm row - 10kg, x 15 each side, x 2 sets

11) Bicep curl, 10kg barbell - x 20
12) Lunges with 10kg barbell on back of shoulders - x 10 each side
13) Bicep curl, 10kg barbell - x 20



So that was pretty good, and more than 400 reps which is my target (hurrah!). I enjoyed it, though I still laugh when I do lunges though choice, rather than being made to do them, haha.

So, moving on.... At work just before lunch, I got a phonecall from the adult education folk who are running my swimming classes, to tell me the pool is once again out of action. That means from 7 weeks, we've only have 4 lessons. 6 left to go, from the original amount we signed up for. She tells me they've unfortunately had to cancel the rest of the course. :(

I really am disappointed, you know? And it surprises me, because it was so very, very hard getting to this stage - I've been frightened with the whole idea of swimming for a number of years now, and it's been a really break-through getting this far. So, normally when I'm doing something challenging and I'm offered a 'get out of jail free' card, I snatch it with both hands, and fake mournfulness to others. "Oh, it's such a shame...." - and so on. Not this time. I really am gutted.

I guess the next step is to make sure I continue to build on the 4 lessons I've had so far - still sooooo much to get sorted in my head, about swimming, and so it's very important that I don't let it lapse. Next school term, I'll take lessons up again, for sure. But I can't allow myself to wait around until January before taking the plunge (haha, see what I did there?) - so, stay tuned for more tales of splashing about in the (hopefully near!) future. x

1 comment:

  1. MAN what a bugger about the classes! Such a positive thing that you feel disappointed by the news though! Progress, baby!

    Does your pool offer 1-on-1 lessons? Out here it's very cheap at the cooncil gym but knowing Edinburgh it might be pricey!

    ReplyDelete