Most of the fitness activities I do are those which can be done on your own. This is not because I want to be alone, but generally because circumstances require it. Unlike pretty much all of my friends, I don't have a spouse/partner or someone to ring up with no notice and say "wanna hit the gym?" or suchlike. Everyone has their own lives, and generally speaking social things have to be planned in advance. And plans, as everyone know, often go completely t*ts up. (To slightly misquote Robert Burns.)
Today I was meant to be going to the climbing wall, but one by one almost everyone backed out, so it got cancelled. Genuine reasons, of course, but still I was left feeling somewhat disheartened. You can't go climbing on your own. Well, there's bouldering, but I have no confidence trying that without some sort of guidance... I probably ought to just MTFU and get on with it, mind, so I can at least be building climbing skills rather than sitting around feeling sorry for myself.
But let's not mope, Sarah - I've done more than enough of that this past week. Instead, I went to the gym this morning - I have new gym goals, now, so wanted to get a session done that I could be happy about, so I could think of what I DID achieve today, rather than what I didn't. My gym goals are mostly (a) build up cardio fitness, and (b) build up strength to specifically help with hill-walking and climbing - but without losing sight of the general main goal: (c) lose weight and tone up. Following the 2km cardio challenge on Friday, I have decided that I'm going to try and do more than 10 minutes on the cross-trainer in every single gym session I do. Try and figure out how to beat the numb feet thing, and build up ability and speed on the machine. So, with all that waffle and pre-amble out of the way, here's today's workout:
1) warm-up: 1km brisk walk on the treadmill at 2% incline (9:48)
2) Cross-trainer - 12 minutes @ level 7 - 0.7km
3) Kettlebell swings - 20kg - x 20
4) Lat pulldown (machine) - 25kg - x 25
5) Sit-ups, x 20
6) Step-ups (step with 6 raisers), x 20 each side
7) Squats, x 25
8) Repeat 3, 4, 5, 6
9) Front squats w/ 10kg barbell, x 15
10) Step-ups (step with 6 raisers), with 10kg barbell on shoulders, x 10 each side
11) Bicep curls with 10kg barbell, x 20
12) Repeat 10, 11
Good session, and I could tell it really got my heart rate up (I didn't wear my HRM today, though). My feet got a little tingly after about 8 or 9 minutes on the cross-trainer, so I tried tips I'd read online, flexing my toes, lifting my feet a little, driving through the heels for 10 seconds, and through the toes for the next 10, etc. - positive session, and I'll build from here. Felt really good afterwards, which is more than I can say about how I was feeling beforehand.
No comments:
Post a Comment