I went to the gym after work today, because I started work very early. It meant I could be working out by 4.30pm, before the gym gets post-work heaving, which was definitely good. I think I'm going to be trying a cardio circuit in the gym again tomorrow, like last Friday, so I wanted to sort of take it easy today, while also getting a reasonable workout done.... Personally, in today's workout, I think I did pretty well:
1) warm-up - treadmill - 7 mins brisk walk at 2% incline (0.7km)
2) cross-trainer, just 2 mins before realising I didn't really want to do too much leg-cardio today!
3) Rower - 4 mins - 925 metres
4) Leg press (machine) - 70kg, x 20
5) Calf raises, x 20
6) Leg press (machine) - 80kg, x 20
7) Calf raises, x 20
8) Leg press (machine) - 90kg, x 5
9) Chest press - 20kg, x 15, x 2 sets
10) Kettlebell swings - 20kg, x 20
11) Kettlebell swings - 24kg, x 10
12) Kettlebell swings - single-hand - 16kg, x 20 - x 2 sets
13) Kettlebell swings - 24kg, x 20
14) Rower - 4 mins - 921 metres
Here are the things about today's workout that I'm really, really happy about. Leg-pressing 90kgs!!! This is the first time I've done any weights work with something heavier than myself. I mean, I only managed 5 good reps, but I felt really great. Also, managing 20 consecutive reps swinging a 24kg kettlebell was brilliant - I finished feeling strong and powerful.
The two 4 minute sessions on the rower are that length for a reason. I was trying to see how I would score on the O'Neill Test (a way to test aerobic fitness on the rowing machine), first time of trying. For my sex/age/weight category, rowing 856 metres in the 4 mins is 'average', and 936 is 'above average' (over 1km and we're into 'good' and 'excellent' territory, oooooh...) - which means I'm totally claiming for both my attempts today, I scored 'above average'. I don't think in ANY physical activity I've EVER been categorised 'above average'. I feel so proud, lol. I'm setting my sights on 'good' now.... :)
And so, since it's Thursday, it's weigh-in night. I headed across after the gym, knowing I'd definitely lost this week, but without much of a strong idea how much. Turns out, errrr, I lost 4½ lbs, taking me to 179½ lbs. Wow. I mean, I've had a very bad week, emotionally - and it was a real struggle not to eat junk food all day, every day, but I've also forced myself to cook proper meals again, and I think that really massively helps. I'm really pleased with the loss, but I'm not daft - I know a bit of that is 'water loss', since I've been basically eating junk for a while. Even still, hell yeah I'll take it. ;)
Bloody brilliant Sarah! Above average YES INDEED :D
ReplyDeleteLol, thank you! x x x
ReplyDelete