Monday, 17 November 2014

1/100 - A new challenge

It's no surprise that I lose weight more successfully and feel more motivated when I'm tracking my progress. When I stop tracking, I lose focus, and fall off the wagon, so as of today, I'm starting a 100 day blogging challenge. Every day, I'll blog about my health and fitness journey. I know this will infuriate some readers who come here from "WHW Blogs", as I'm clearly no ultra runner and the topics I write about may hold no interest, but you don't have to read what I'm writing. I promise one of the 100 entries will be about this year's John Lucas 50 mile ultra, and one will be about support crewing at Devil o' the Highlands, but the rest will be the usual waffle about my trying to beat the demons that try to undermine my health and fitness journey. And the word 'kettlebell' will probably appear at least twelve times a week.

My decision to track my exercise (and food) consistently is backed by proper scientific research. Though I don't have any links or proof to hand, lol; I just read about it in Matt Fitzgerald's book "Diet Cults", which I'm currently halfway through. (One of the 100 posts will be a book review on this, by the way. In fact, I'll do a few running/fitness-related book reviews over the coming months.) Matt's book outlines studies done on 'successful dieters', i.e. the tiny minority of people who manage to keep off whatever weight they lose - and even though they all follow different eating plans a few similarities emerged, one of which was tracking what they ate, and another was a more active lifestyle. It makes sense to say if you want to lose weight, you exercise, but it's a lot more realistic to focus on food first and foremost - exercise, though, is hugely important, and seemingly more so in those who have lost the weight and want to keep it off.

Anyway, this was a short update as I get ready to start my 100 day challenge. I'll give you my "start" stats tomorrow (believe me, I'm definitely at a start point again - it's no coincidence I haven't been blogging the last 4 weeks or so!!) and I'll come back to them at the end of the challenge, and see what difference this makes. I'm sure I can find things to write about, but if you have any suggestions for topics you'd like to see me cover over the next 99 days, please let me know! x

No comments:

Post a Comment