Saturday, 21 February 2015

92/100 - 15kms, eek!

Today was long run day, and I wanted to aim for 15kms. Last week I did 13.3kms, but for various reasons/excuses I've already kinda covered, I've not done any other running since then, so it was a little daunting. I set off with a vague route plan, an audio book on the iPhone, a small bottle of water, and a tiny wee bar of milk chocolate in a not-next-to-skin pocket, lol. As it happened, I hardly drank anything during the run - just maybe half a dozen sips when I felt I needed one - and I didn't eat the chocolate, it was really just there if I "needed" something.

So, two weeks ago I ran 10km at an average pace (and here I mix units, because it's what works for me, lol) of 13:54 mins per mile, then the week after ran 13.3kms at an average pace of 14:15 mins per mile. Today, I managed 15kms at an average pace of 13:42 mins per mile!!! Pretty surprised at that, though I did work hard today; loads of walk breaks of course, but it was all a bit better structured and focussed. I did the sums after, and maintaining that exact pace would bring me in to a HM finish line a few seconds under 3 hours! Eeek! It's going to be very close - and even though the race is only three weeks away, I'm finally fully decided on running it. It's only ever been intended as a get-round-and-kickstart-the-year, kinda thing, but the 3 hour mark is taunting me a little, and needs beaten. I'm significantly distant from my PB (which is around 2:44) but actually, the improvements i'm starting to see, together with the weightloss, and the gym work, are convincing me I'll smash that this year. I have three half marathon attempts at which to do it (maybe four, depending how the year goes) and although the first one won't be a PB, I'm definitely on my way.

Refuelled after the race with wholewheat pasta with tomatoes and basil-infused extra virgin olive oil, lambs lettuce, and grilled pork medallions. Loads of protein, carbs, and general all-round yumminess - plus the whole plate was just a little over 500 kcals, so I treated myself to that small bar of chocolate with a cup of tea afterwards. :-) Feeling good. Tomorrow will be active recovery. Check me out, doing "active recovery", like some sort of athlete!!!!! Hehehe.


2 comments:

  1. 50% further at a faster pace in two weeks, that's brilliant progress. Definitely earned that chocolate bar for desert ;-)

    It's great to see how positive you've attacked things over the last few weeks. It rather sounded like you were not keen to do the half marathon back in January, but now it's a stepping stone along the way. Now that's thinking and doing like a "some sort of athlete!!!"

    ReplyDelete