Monday, 16 February 2015

88/100

In the office today, after a few days working from home last week, and today is a rest day from training. A welcome one, after yesterday's long run! :-) Working from home was great for my exercise in terms of it felt a lot easier to get a lunchtime run (mostly because I just got dressed in my running gear first thing!) but I didn't get a lot of other walking done, so it was nice to be back walking to work along the Water of Leith path today. Especially as the sun was peeping out from a dismal early start, and there's a lot of birds and squirrels etc. to see on a short walk. Good for the soul. :-) February's pedometer step count is already much improved on January's, which reflects on the better weather - January's daily average was 9,168, and so far the average for February is 10,382. (December was 7,378.)

I realised last night that I was starting to lose focus a little bit on my food intake, as there were about 4 days of scribbled meals etc. on bits of paper that I hadn't counted up and written into the food diary, so I worked on that for a little. It turns out it's remarkably easy to eat more than you realise, but in the main I'm still averaging out at around 1,400 kcals a day, which is perfect for now. I'm also starting to fall back into old habits a little with regards not cooking proper meals when I'm tired - I need to be a bit better prepared, so I have things to hand, not only food, but also, especially, clean pots and pans! I got very frustrated on Thursday reading an online article in the Daily Mail (I know, I know...) which was around the topic of 'obesity' and how it couldn't be fixed by just eating less and moving more. The author quoted a research scientist saying "Few individuals ever truly recover from obesity; rather they suffer from 'obesity in remission'." - and I got extremely angry reading that. Reflecting on my reaction later, I think it's because it pokes at my biggest fear: that no matter how successful I am this year in losing the weight, it will all go back on again later. That's why part of my goal this year is working on the self-confidence to keep my weightloss permanent, but also a big part of what I'm doing is developing habits that I can easily live with. It's not even 7 weeks into the year yet, so as I'm struggling a little just now to keep up the habits of cooking proper meals, and writing in the food diary each day, I shouldn't get overly concerned. It's early days, and I've a long way to go. Everything I do this year must be a lifestyle change I can maintain in future - so I can crack the yo-yo weight loss and gain for good. I do think I can, this time, by using every tool in my tool box, every weapon in my arsenal, and with the support of some of the magnificent people who are in my corner.

2 comments:

  1. Planning and preparation is the key! Keep on top of those dishes and stay strong! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! (I can't believe how much tupperware I have to wash now I make lunches every day, hahaha.) x

      Delete