I finished yesterday's blog post with a rather hasty, throwaway remark about how the people 'in my corner' were helping me. Reflecting on it later, I realised that the biggest lesson I'm learning on my journey is about the people who surround me - whether they're supporting me, or turning their backs. For example, I spotted a few 'facebook friends' have recently unfriended me, and while I don't take it personally, it strikes me that maybe the journey I'm on is not the most interesting for others to read and I freely admit I'm a little single-minded at the moment. I'm also doing this daily blog thing, and I suspect some people don't bother clicking, or when they do they rolls their eyes and yawn. I know I can sound repetitive. I read on another blog recently some praise to someone for 'just getting on with training without much of a fanfare', which is kind of the opposite of what I'm doing. Hell, I'm yelling every little achievement from the rooftops - and maybe some people find that ostentatious or ridiculous, but damn it, it works for me. If it doesn't work for others, that's their lookout, but I really want the people who stick around to know how much I value their support as I take each hesitant step along the way. You're amazing. Absolutely amazing, and I know I don't tell you that enough.I've found that having the support and inspiration from others pushes me on, and makes me accountable. Also, many of the inspiring people I surround myself with are those who I highly value the opinion of. I get advice (which I'm now confident enough to decide whether to accept or not, lol!) and support, people who give me a hug and say 'there there', and people who hold me accountable if I slack off. I could liken these people to my very own ultra 'support crew', haha!! I've heard comment, sometimes, about the number of races I turn up to support, be it through volunteering or just cheering - the reason I do this is because I know what it means to have people tell you 'well done', or even just 'I'm here for you'. It would be kind of wrong to expect people to be there for me, if I'm not there for them too - "Invest in people who invest in you." Of course I also get a lot, personally, out of being there to support other people's amazing achievements!! (And the sweaty runner hugs ain't bad either!) - I find ultra running fascinating. I highly doubt I'll ever do it myself, and that's fine with me, but I hope I'll be surrounded by ultra runners in my life for a long time to come. Ultra runners, other runners, Ironmen, other triathletes, fitness professionals, maybe even some powerlifters, who knows? :-) The list of people who have had/are having the most influence and impact in my health and fitness journey is one that is growing, for which I'm extremely thankful. I still have quite a way to go on that journey, but I know I'm not alone. x x
Keep yelling from the roof tops, it great to hear how well you're doing. Magic happens with the support of this family. xx
ReplyDeleteIt does indeed. Thanks love. x x
Delete