New Year's Day was 5 weeks ago today, which means I've been on this new focus of health and fitness 5 weeks. So it's weekly weigh-in day, and I've lost another 2lbs this week, meaning in 5 weeks I've lost 11.6lbs, or 5.26kgs. Still a long way to go, but to say I'm happy about this week's weigh-in would be an understatement. ;-) It's also 5.6% of my original start weight, already gone - which means I'm already benefitting my health, apparently. Regardless, it's having a great effect on my motivation - I'm so determined to keep this going!!
If you were to ask Google, I am definitely bucking the trend. By which I mean, if you put "new years resolutions fail" into Google search engine, you get back over 4 million results. Depending on who you ask, anywhere between 40 and 100% of those who start a new habit on 1st January are doomed to failure. So what am I doing differently? Well, it's early days, but I'm really focussing on what I'm doing and taking it one day at a time. Each day, my pedometer resets to 0, and I turn a new blank page in my food diary. My focus and decision-making remains on my main goal, and if I have one day which slightly takes me away from that, then I can quickly adjust back on track. I'm celebrating each small result as I achieve them, and not worrying too much about the bigger picture on that daily basis. There is no "end date" with this 'resolution' - I want to lose weight, yes, and build the confidence in myself to keep it off, but according to many articles you read about failed resolutions, I've got the completely wrong goals. I should be specific they say - set a time limit, a goal, and go for it. Eh, no. No no no. That's the right way to set goals in so many situations, but for weightloss? I don't agree. If you lose weight with a single figure goal and time limit in mind, what happens when you reach it? You STOP eating healthily, exercising consistently, and focussing on your healthy and activity. You're "done"! You slide back into old habits, and poor decision-making. The weight goes back on. Alternatively, what if you don't get to that arbitrary figure by the set date? What if you're stil 5lbs away, is that a failure?? Well, yes, if you're setting it up that way. Motivation will slump, you'll beat yourself up, and you won't be able to recognise the fact you've already lost, I don't know, 40 or 50lbs. Madness. It's an ongoing battle, but one which becomes easier and easier as time goes by. I really love this article on willpower on the Wall Street Journal, and I try to re-read it at least annually. This year, I'm putting in so many little steps and changes to help me to be successful. And even though I'm only 5 weeks in, my mindset already feels in such a different place to previous years that I can't help but be motivated to continue on my journey.
I know I'm going to face struggles and adversity, along with the successes and support, but in short, Yay. Bring it on!!!
WELL DONE, It's great reading about the progress that you keep making ;-)
ReplyDeleteThanks!! It's just as great making the progress in the first place! :-) :-)
Delete