Sunday, 30 September 2012

9/100 - For whom the (kettle)bell tolls

Woooo, loads of kettlebell work today. :) I asked one of the girls who works at the gym to watch as I tried single arm clean and press with the 8kg kettlebell, to make sure I had the right form and technique. I think it's incredibly important to have someone knowledgeable help you as try a new exercise for the first time - so I'm pleased today to add a new, really great exercise into my repetoire. :)

So, gym this morning quite early on (I'd hoped to have gone for a run, but it was really windy and rainy when I woke up, so treadmill was the way forward). Today's workout:

1) 5 minutes crosstrainer warm-up

2) Treadmill - 3km run - 21:38 - equivalent to a pace of about 11:36 per mile

3) Russian twists with 8kg kettlebell - x 20
4) Single arm kettlebell swings - 8kg, x 20, x 5 sets
5) Front squats with 8kg kettlebell - x 20
6) Windmills with 8kg kettlebell - x 10 each side
7) Single arm kettlebell swings - 8kg, x 30, x 5 sets
8) Russian twists with 8kg kettlebell - x 20
9) Front squats with 8kg kettlebell - x 20

10) Single arm clean and press with 8kg kettlebell - 5 each side, x 2 sets

11) Sit-ups (feet supported under a 16kg Vipr) x 25, x 2 sets


When I do single arm swings or russian twists, it's alternating sides, but where I specify "each side" it means I do a set on one side, then a set on the other, then a short break, and the second set each side. I always try to start an 'each side' exercise on my left side, as it's weaker, and I can work a set closer to the fatigue point. i.e. If I started on my right side, and got to 15 but knew I could still get another 5 reps, I might do them, but find that when I come to try and do 20 on my left side, I'm struggling after 12 or 13 to keep going, so it would have been better to do 15 sets each side rather than try to get to 20.

Today I probably ought to have moved up the kettlebell weights for the swings as I can definiely do single arm 12kg swings, and ought to try the same on the 16kgs some time, but today I chose lots of reps (250!) at the lower weight. My heart rate seemed to stay pretty high (I was already sweating lots from the run) and I feel I got a great workout.

Regarding the running, I know 3km isn't enough to help prepare me for next week's longer run, but today it felt like all I could do - especially since there was a woman on the treadmill right next to me who appeared to have had Indian food last night, the smell from her sweat was pretty intense. *bleugh* The perils of working out early on a Sunday, haha!!

Not a bad morning, really, I'm quite pleased with that workout, and especially with learning the single arm clean and press. The rest of today I'm trying to focus on good eating... this continues to be difficult!

No comments:

Post a Comment