Thursday, 16 July 2015

Thursday update

Week 28 of 2015, and in this week's weigh-in I lost a little bit of what I'd gained last week, but not substantially - I've continued to eat poorly during the week, and I haven't got back into the habit of keeping my food diary again. BUT, I've lost 1.6lbs this week, so it's going back in the right direction, and I'm still 3 stone lighter than I was on 1st January 2015. So, good news. I haven't had my head in the game for a little while, but it feels like it's getting there.

Other good news, is I'm feeling pretty darned motivated again right now. Getting some structure and consistency with my running is helping me to get faster and better, but more than that it's helping me to feel good about myself, and my progress. That's not to say it's easy, haha, but 'challenging' can be good in some circumstances, and this is one of them. :-) I'm no ultra runner by any means, but for those who've been following my progress, I'm sure it continues to be strange and wonderous to watch happen, hahaha. Tuesday's run was a 4 mile run at a steady, easy pace with a 0.5 pace pick-up at the end, which I ran with Myles after work. It was sunny, and the company was fab, and we managed to chat quite a bit as we ran. Even just the fact that I can do that, is huge for me. Huge. Holding conversations (and even singing, lol!) while running?? Me!! It's fascinating, when I step back and think about these kind of things! Admittedly, I couldn't keep up conversation during the pick-up, other than swearing haha. It was a good run, though, around the cycle paths and Water of Leith path near my flat.

Then the next day (yesterday) I went out before work to Silverknowes, and ran 400m intervals along the (flat) seafront. I was out running for around 40 minutes or so, following the instructions I'd programmed into my watch, and while the pace changes were tough, I managed them pretty well. That said, I was more that relieved when the workout finished, haha, and gratefully sank down onto a small wall to rest. At exactly that point, another runner passed me and remarked "You can't stop now!" so I waved my wrist at him and said "Yes I can, my watch says so!" - haha. Wee pink cheeks and sweaty hair; it's a look. (And starting the day by the sea is always lovely.)

Today I'll hopefully be heading to a pool for a swim after work - I haven't been swimming for a few weeks, and while it won't exactly be a tough workout, it'll be relaxing, and I'll try and get into the steam room after as well. I really need to make the effort for this, because as the day goes on it's easy to make excuses not to exercise in the evening, but actually (shock horror) it makes me feel good. Also, yesterday I felt a small number of gentle twinges of pain in my left knee while I was running, and I need to make sure things are okay - so a full day of rest without any gym work that could impact that, is optimal. To be fair, my knee felt perfectly fine the res of the day yesterday, and on the walk to work this morning, so I think it's probably just a minor argument against a really painful blister I had on my left big toe, which may have altered the way I planted my foot while I ran, and changed my gait slightly. It's something I'll keep an eye on, and not be daft about, but a swim is a nice way to get a bit of activity without any load-bearing issues to worry about. And as long as there's no idiots in the pool getting in my way, or being annoyingly tutty at how slow I am, it'll be pretty relaxing too!!

Probably no more blog updates now until after the weekend - I'll be marshalling at the Clyde Stride ultra marathon on Saturday, at registration and checkpoint 2, so come say hello if you're there. :-) Best of luck to everyone running - hope you have an amazing day. x

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your weekend Sarah and good to see the weight loss is going in the right direction again :-) Very impressed with your running progress - really enjoying the updates xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope you have a good weekend too. x

      Delete
  2. Well done on getting the weight loss back on track.

    Your training run sounds like a another breakthrough, being able to comfortably run and chat really shows how far your fitness has come. Loosing 3 stone will be a big chunk of why running has become less of mountain, but there is no doubt that your heart, lungs, muscles and importantly mind are all stronger too which together all means you are all round healthier :-)

    I'm curious, what are the next challenges on the horizon? Sub 30 min 5k? Sub 2:30 half?



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My training at the moment is geared up to the Great Cumbrian Run half - I have yet to decide a specific target, but I'd be lying if I said sub-2:30 wasn't an attractive goal. I have a while to go until the race, and I've spent the last few weeks getting my head into consistent training with running; the actual goals will come later.

      Delete