Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Improving intervals

I've been working on a new (to me) approach to running since finishing the Edinburgh half marathon a couple of months ago, in terms of getting some proper consistency, and capitalising on the new mental approach I've been developing, to help push myself to getting faster and fitter, basically. It's been paying dividends, and as you'll know if you've been reading these last few weeks, I'm seeing a lot of progress with my running - which motivates me to keep working. Sometimes that progress is harder to quantify than other days, but then sometimes - like today - the numbers are glaring.

Today I carried out an intervals session that I last ran 4 weeks ago. At the time, I pushed myself really hard, worked to the best of my ability, and was thrilled with the results - so although I was expecting to see some improvements today, I will admit I was blown away by the difference! The session is simple: 10 mins warm-up, the 1 minute fast, 2 mins recovery, repeated, then a 10 minute cool-down. 4 weeks ago I did six repetitions, this week I did eight (ow). So, what do the stats say....?

Pace (mins/mile) 30 June 15 29 July 15
10 min warm-up pace 11:58 11:24
AVERAGE interval pace: 1 minute fast 9:28 8:47
AVERAGE interval pace: 2 min recovery 12:38 11:17
10 min cool-down pace 12:03 11:13
Average overall pace 11:42 10:44
Heart-rate mid cool-down (approx.) 183 163
Average HR 174 172
Max HR 195 192

They show that even with a dramatic improvement in pace, I worked just as hard (though my heart seems to be dealing with it a bit better, and doing better at recovery/cool-down) - even with extra intervals today! The stats are enough to make me feel really very positive about the direction I'm moving in. And regularly managing these 1 minute intervals faster than 9 minute miles?? Me! Bearing in mind that at the beginning of this year I could hardly manage to run 3 or 4 minutes without a walk break, and I was covering 5kms in around 42 mins (equiv pace 13:30 mins/mile). It's astonishing, and testament to just getting out there and getting on with it.

I reckon I earned a bit of cake today, with my morning cuppa at work..... *winks*

Oh, and for no real reason, have a picture of me posing for a sweaty selfie in front of a heron in Inverleith Park yesterday morning, immediately after my 7km run was finished. (Glasses steamed up from my glowing face, lol.) x x


8 comments:

  1. That is some excellent progress right there - the numbers do not lie!

    Very well done - and keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Moly - those numbers are impressive !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get my head around it!! x x

      Delete
  3. That's great progress and some nice analysis to illustrate it so clearly. The quick recovery in HR after the intervals is another really good indicator of improving fitness - it shows that your cardio-vascular system is functioning more efficiently.

    Do you know your relative weights for these two interval sessions? Earlier in the year your big improvements will have be primarily down to loosing so much weight, but these improvements look like they will be down to the consistent training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've actually gained a little weight in between those two sessions, maybe a kilo or something, I don't have the data to hand, but I'm definitely slightly heavier. So the improvement is down to consistency and hard work, like you say. :-)

      Delete