I've wondered for a little when I would cross that gap that I see between me and other runners, that of enjoying running! Haha. Well, today I came back from my early morning 4 mile run thinking "I really enjoyed that!" - and as milestones go, I think that's a pretty big one, no??
My plan called for a nice easy recovery run today, so I headed off at around 5am to the Forth Road Bridge. I've never crossed it on foot, though have thought about it for a long time, and today seemed the right day for it. Driving through town as the sun was rising I noted the temperature was around 12 degrees, which I find a very comfortable temperature for running in; I knew it would be colder on the bridge but certainly not freezing. I was wearing a tshirt and arm sleeves, so that if I was overheating I could roll the sleeves down, but actually it was the right choice of clothing, the sleeves stayed up, and I was comfortable. There was a breeze, but nothing wild. Perfect. I was parked up and ready to go at around 5:20am, and put headphones in with an audiobook playing, as distraction from the traffic noise. I set off running, realising it was a gentle incline almost immediately. The steady climb lasted for a mile, and I was running conservatively, at a little slower than 12 minute mile pace. (This is 'conservatively' now!! I still can't get my head round that...) Passing the middle of the bridge, the second mile was a long gentle downhill slope, and I picked up to closer to 11 minute miles, but just taking it easy, and really, really enjoying the stunning scenery.At the end of the bridge, I ran a bit further until my watch showed 2 miles, then I turned, and was amused to see the 'Thank you for visiting Fife!' sign. I'd only been in Fife for a couple of minutes, but it was nice to be appreciated... ;-) This third mile was, of course, a gentle uphill, which again I managed at a similar pace to the first, and the 4th mile was downhill, and again roughly 11 mins. I comfortably finished 4 miles without hardly breaking a sweat, feeling happy, windblown, relaxed, and ready for my breakfast!! 4 miles, 46:30. Happy Sarah.
This afternoon I'm heading up to Fort William, and tomorrow morning at crazy-early-o'clock I'll be popping to Tyndrum to work the registration table for the Devil o' the Highlands ultramarathon. It's Johnny Fling's first year as race director for this race, and it feels like there's more of a buzz about it as a result. Regardless of new RD, it's a route that many people love, in a stunning part of the world at the top half of the West Highland Way, and I'm looking forward to heading up the road after the race starts, and stopping at a few points on my way to the finish line at Fort William. :-) Once there I'll work with the timing team through to the finish - it's going to be another one of those exciting, fun-packed, mega-long days, only two weeks after CS40, and only 2 weeks before John Lucas 50 where I'm volunteering too, haha. I'm a glutton for punishment, but I can't wait!! Just got to get through a few more hours at work, first. And finish this teabreak. ;-) x
P.S. Small gain in this week's weigh-in (week 30) - not to sound like a broken record, I'm on it.... Positive attitude, at the moment.

What do you mean you ran past the end of the bridge to please your watch? You'll be going all vegan next ;-)
ReplyDeleteHahaha, no I'm following my training plan, not my heart. :-)
DeleteGreat to see you making that final step to becoming a "runner" and being fit enough to enjoy just being out, putting one foot in front of the other. This is indeed a big step, a life style change that now has a much better chance of sticking as you can now enjoy running just for it's own sake rather than a means to an end.
ReplyDeleteI will doing taxi service/support for a friend tomorrow at the Devil so I'll probably see you at registration and possibly on route.
Thanks!! :-)
DeleteAnd see you in the morning. Oh, it's 7:30pm, and I have to be up around 2am-ish, I'd best get to bed, haha!
Love your comment about conservative pace, really made me smile. Enjoying the positivity in your posts x
ReplyDelete