Wednesday, 22 July 2015

Clyde Stride 2015

In short; ace day, great race, the course record fell, and people were amazing. The longer version follows, but I would also recommend you go read James Stewart's race report of his victory, and fantastic run: you can find it here. Seriously, go do it. In fact, now is a good time. I'll wait....

Okay, so. My history with this 40 mile race from Glasgow to New Lanark is mixed. My first time spectating was when Davie first ran it in 2012, and I had a great day popping up to cheer him on, not realising at the time that probably many of the strangers I also cheered on would later become friends. In 2013, I crewed for Julie, and had an amazing day travelling along the checkpoints and other bits along the way, celebrating people who had become friends completing their first, in many cases, ultramarathon, and watching Davie smash his PB too. It was a brilliant day, and riding on the high of the day, I agreed to form a relay team for the 2014 race. Sadly, for me, late 2013 and the whole of 2014 was not the year I had wanted, and my confidence with my running (and myself) was shot, my ability was poor, and I knew there was no way I could cover 10 miles on the day. I felt so low backing out that I stayed away on race day, and sat at home instead. This year would be different! (Just as a minor side point here, my dropping out of the team left a spot for Steven Milligan to step into in short notice - it was fantastic to see him go on to complete the full race this year! Well done!)

I volunteered to be part of the race crew this year, and was allocated a marshal point at checkpoint 2, roughly halfway, and registration. So exciting - I couldn't wait. Race Director Lee (Mrs Mac) puts on an amazing event, and though I've marshalled various ultras now, I've never been part of the Clyde Stride team, so this was a big honour this year! The buzz leading up to the race was great, too, as a few of us knew James was on for something special. Following his training, his approach to racing, and his dedication to his goals, has been nothing short of inspirational. Add that to the fact he's just a downright nice bloke, lol, and incredibly supportive of my own running and growth, and really, I probably would have been more disappointed than him had his day not gone the way he wanted. (It did, hope that's not a spoiler - I did tell you to go read his race report earlier!)

I don't mean to harp on about James, by the way, like some crazed name-dropper, but I'll just mention I crewed for him at Glenmore 24 last year. ;-) I feel I have to have this recorded, so that when he's super-mega-huge in running in the future and can command a support crew of elites, I can proudly tell people that "back in the day" I once filled his water bottles for him, and handed him a head torch... *laughs* I'm so proud of him, for this victory - it's well deserved, I don't know many people who work as hard as he does to train well and balance his training with his job and a family with young kids. So pleased the day was all his.

So, yes, race day. I was giving a lift to a fella off facebook who turned out lives literally round the corner from me, Greig, who had managed to grab a last minute place, and was about to undertake his first every ultramarathon, and indeed his first ever off-road run - period! It was an entertaining drive - mostly me going "hahahaha, you're going to be in so much pain!! but, errr, it's a super-supportive community, you'll love it", like the big encouraging weirdo I am, haha. At Partick Station I parked up, plenty of hugs with my awesome second family, and on goes the amazing hoody, and high-vis. Quick mad selfie shot with Mrs Mac and David Ross, then on with getting sorted out! The time flew by, then - few wee hiccups when Julie C's car got a flat tyre, so I had to quickly step in as a CP2 dropbag car, but Noanie came to the rescue with her car of hugeness. Many hugs, many good wishes, many chats, and the time disappeared. Spotted Richard at one point, and asked him how he was feeling about the run. "Well, my training hasn't been great, I'm doing less running than you at the moment...." "Haha, I'm doing 20 mile weeks!" "Yes. I'm doing less running than you at the moment." "Ohhhhh." - he went on to finish in a very respectable time, well done!

Pic by Chen Chee Kong
When the race got started, we packed up, and I headed off to Strathclyde Park. There was a chance I would now be in charge of the checkpoint, but thankfully Julie's new tyre got fitted in time for her to get to the park, and as the rest of the team arrived (Jim, Dave, Karen, Noanie, Angela, and Derek and Paddy on the Interchange, we were also joined by Rosie too) we got the drop bags unloaded and sorted, and sorted out roles, and were all set for the approach of the first runners.

I'd had chance to catch up a bit with Rob Soutar, who was running as part of Team JGS (Jordanhill Garden Supplies, one of the race sponsors), Gerry's team - but he was away on his leg of the relay pretty soon after the first runners came through, in second place. I knew he would run well - and was later to find out he comfortably caught the first relay team an built up a lead that was enough for Gerry to hold firmly onto! Just brilliant running, lads - a well deserved victory. James was in second place through the checkpoint, by about 20-30 seconds, which was brilliant to see. Robert Turner was running well, in 1st place, but sadly had to drop out later.


Pic by Chen Chee Kong
My role at the checkpoint was recording the times - a fairly simple job, except when runners came into the checkpoint in groups of 5 or 6 haha, but Julie had the checkpoint running smoothly, and lots of shouting out numbers to confirm etc, we managed to work it all really well. Put me in high-viz and give me a clipboard, and I'm happy! *laughs* The clyderunner relay team guys arrived, and it was fun catching up with Fiona who looked very much of a mixture of excited about the day, and nervous about her leg of the relay!! They made me laugh, actually, with their constant "how many relay teams have been past now?" question (nervous, much??) - like, every 5 mins or so. "Still 9. Like the last time you asked, and no other relay runners have passed." "Okay. ...How many now?" "....9. Still 9." - lol!! The sun came out, which surprised everyone, and spirits were high. The Moonertys arrived for a bit, so nice wee catch-up, and Myles and Garry turned up too, yay. I was working, but managed to find a bit of time for chat, of course! Generally the day was going remarkably well!!

Was....

Haha, in all honesty, the issues we had to deal with were easy ones. The frustrating issue of runner's families/support crews ignoring instructions about parking is just mad - if it's made clear that there is NO parking in the carpark of the local restaurant and hotel, then why ignore that, and risk problems for the race director?? Plus those giving attitude to Angela on the entrance to the carpark were duly noted - just don't be an idiot, people. *sigh*

As the time went by, we started to realise there was a bit of a problem out on the course. The sweepers came in, positive they'd lost a runner, when they went off the route to bring back Ray lol. We started adding up the runners through the checkpoint, checking that off against CP1's records, and checking it against the start list. We realised that the 3 drop bags left at our checkpoint were indeed for runners who had safely made it through CP1, but not made it to us. If your view of checkpoint marshals, by the way, is that we just fill water bottles and hand you drop bags, you didn't see the flurry of phonecalls, organising, number checking, and so on that we went through at that point. The sweepers split up - one to carry on running (in case Ray took a detour again, lol), and the other to retrace his steps and at the point where the consensus was that runners may have taken a wrong turn, go try and find them. Thankfully, Sean found the 3 runners had already got themselves back on course, and he directed them over Raith Interchange and into the checkpoint safely - relief all round!!

Once the runners and sweeper was away, and we were all packed up, we could clear the checkpoint, our duties largely over for the day. I knew that I'd missed the first runners finishing now, but I was going straight to New Lanark regardless, to find out what had happened. Arrived to find out about James' amazing win, and Gerry and Rob's team victory, and to find other friends happily drinking beer with a medal round their neck. Mrs Mac was on top form, her finish line hugs are legendary, and she had introduced the hilarity of finish line 'Olympics' this year, with a sack race, space hopper race, egg and spoon, and three-legged races too. I can't remember who won these races, maybe ask Mr Mooney if he knows. ;-)

It was great just catching up people here, even if Ian Logan was a cheeky wee beggar tricking me into saying something about how volunteers get the chance of a place in the full race the following year, lol. (An ultra isn't in my short term future plans!!!)  It was fab to see Sharon as well, volunteering at the finish line, offering every runner a beer. She thinks that makes her everyone's favourite marshal, but I beg to differ, I bet everyone would pick "the lass holding the clipboard at CP2", if asked.... *laughs* - Then watching friends old and new finishing, loads of cheering (my voice was hoarse later than evening) and loads of laughs and banter. Just a fantastic atmosphere, credit due to Mrs Mac and the race family she creates in this event each year!

It was fantastic seeing Greig finish his first ultra, and James Murray, and watching the prizegiving with a wee emotional lump in my throat!!  So many other people to name, but if I tried, I would forget someone - but hopefully if I've not named you in here, then I spoke to you on the day. You're all amazing. Then later watching the last few people push through to the end - also quite a touching moment. Always a very special privilege, cheering the last runner over the line, and one I'm ashamed to say I don't often stay around for. I will make more of an effort in future, because it's really something. Every finisher has earned their medal, every finisher has fought their way to the finish line in their own way. Just always so inspirational. x

After the race packed up, some of us headed along to the Youth Hostel to stay overnight. Dave Waterman, chef extraordinaire, had knocked up some fantastic food, and it was brilliant meeting new people over dinner and drinks, catching up with how other people's days had gone, and just having lots of laughter. Mainly at the expense of Craig Mackay. *grin* Sadly his race hadn't gone the way he'd wanted today, and he'd had to drop out halfway, but his dinner didn't exactly go to plan either, thanks to a very, very hot chilli that he chose to eat in its entirety...!

It really was a brilliant way to end the day - thanks to Mrs Mac for letting me be part of it. I'll be back volunteering next year, for sure. Absolutely without a shadow of a doubt. Roll on #cs4016. x




No comments:

Post a Comment