Monday, 30 March 2015

Training the mind

Last week was a bit up-and-downy, but I worked very hard on the mental aspects of my growth this year, and feel quite pleased with how it went in general. I had my double gym session on Tuesday, which went pretty well, then Wednesday night was supposed to be a run after work. For numerous reasons, I wasn't in a great headspace, but I was determined I would get a couple of miles ran at least. However, very soon after starting I was feeling sore hamstrings (from deadlifting on Tuesday), a stitch (from not eating anything for the 5 hours prior to the run, thanks to work issues), a headache (work...), and feelings of stress/anxiety due to having to get to a shop in out-of-town retail centre before it closed that evening, for getting a birthday card/present sent in time. Anyway, as a result, I stopped running after 5 minutes, then ran/walked another 5 minutes, and just called it a day there. I felt it was actually important for me to be able to confidently call off a session without any self-recriminations, should I need to. It was quite interesting to acknowledge there was no feelings of failure related to it, for once. :-)

Thursday was personal training, which went well - and my trainer complimented me on how my form with squats was improving, since I've been working out with Rowan on Tuesday evenings! :-) It was a good session, and managed to take my mind of work stuff... which didn't last long, as the day quickly got away from me after that, with some staff issues and a lot of to-ing and fro-ing that meant I had to buy food on the hoof at lunchtime. I think I made decent choices, regardless, and even enjoyed my first alcoholic drink in ages for a colleague's leaving drinks after work. I had a gin and slimline tonic, really enjoyed it, then headed home early, for a proper meal before bed. :-)

Friday, after a pretty difficult day work, I went to a charity quiz night organised by James and a bunch of his friends, who are all running the Edinburgh marathon this year in aid of Crohn's and Colitis charity. Great cause, and a really fun night as part of 'Team Daftie' with the Moonertys - a very rare night out for me, but a much-needed great way to wind down after a tough week. I didn't get home until well after midnight, though, and the thought to heading back to Glasgow the next morning (in wind and rain) for a parkrun was not exactly the nicest was to accompany the gentle drifting off to sleep!! :-)

Tollcross parkrun, in Glasgow, never gets any easier (it has a LOT of hills...), especially when it's windy, but I was really pleased with my time of 37:14 this weekend. It's over 3 minutes faster than the last time I ran there, 7 weeks ago, and is my fastest time on the course since September 2013. They're a good bunch, there, and it's good to be around people that make me happy, and aren't judgey. A photo caught me grinning while I was running - in all honesty it's because I'd just been snapped just as the frontrunners were lapping me, which momentarily made it look like I was running with the fast boys, haha. :-) Plod plod plod. My top, though it's not terribly clear in this picture, says "I love running - just not while I'm doing it." So true.....

I had planned on going swimming after parkrun, but there was an event on at the pool so it was closed to the public. Instead I went home for some lunch and a bit of housework. As the afternoon drew on, I decided to head out to the gym - and I really surprised myself with a great session in the weights room, totally unplanned, but gratifying stuff all the same. Really pleased I went. After a shower and dinner, I popped out briefly to a friend's surprise 60th birthday party - didn't stay too long at all, but fab to see him, and he had the most amazing Dalek birthday cake!! I made a hasty exit before the cake was cut, lol....

Sunday's plan was long run, though I first allowed myself a lie-in, to catch up on missed sleep. I definitely felt better for it. I finally set off at around 10am, but within 7 or 8 minutes things were not going well - there's one day a month where I get crippling abdominal cramps, and it's nothing to do with exercise! Mother Nature has a curious sense of timing - as one month ago the cramps hit me during a long run too! Anyway, today I hadn't even made it to one mile, and I was almost doubled over in pain - so, I walked home (even walking was difficult), took painkillers, and reassessed what to do with my day. It ended up being a training day regardless - but thoughts/emotions, instead of physical!! Sure, I hadn't planned it to be, but with my mood being on a hormonal rollercoaster, and having had to cut short my second run of the week, with only parkrun going well, I needed to make sure I didn't start beating myself up and getting a bit maudlin, spending the whole day ont he sofa, eating. It's very, very important that I work on this, this year.

So I read some of my book on beating negative thinking and did some of the workbook exercises in it, before having a big clean/declutter in the kitchen. I also looked after myself, with a long shower and exfoliating/moisturising session. I watched some videos on exercises that inspire me, and I did some work analysing my food diary, and giving myself credit for some great decisions food-wise recently. Finally, a bit of quiet meditation. It ended up being a really great day, despite completely not the one I'd planned, and I'm so proud of myself for not letting a failed long run turn into another chance to give myself a hard time, panic about future training, and get mopey.

I've kept today as a rest day, so I should be really ready for my double-gym Tuesday tomorrow. I think it's important I get a run done this week that's longer than 3.11 miles, so that's definitely scheduled, but all in all, it's been an important week from a practising self-compassion and halting negative thinking in its tracks sense, and I think I'm doing okay.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous31/3/15 22:32

    I can empathise with hormones and cramps - they affect my running every month. Definitely not something to beat yourself up about although the hormonal state sometimes contributes to those feelings. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo. This picture and the ones of your colourful plates for food from your previous post really belong together. These elements combined with the positive mindfulness and you get the whole package of how you've achieved so much this year.

    The only thing I'm concerned about is getting a hug at the Fling, when you might have already hugged several hundred sweaty runners in front of me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Run faster..... (I've had confirmation I'll be at the steps just after Balmaha again.) x

      Delete