Monday, 9 March 2015

Running...

Funnily enough, I've actually missed updating the blog - since Thursday! haha.

I went to St Andrews parkrun again this weekend, 6 weeks after my last time there, and believe it or not I took over 3 minutes off my time! Three minutes!! It was also my fastest 5k of the year, but that kinda doesn't count, as the course measures extremely short (4.8kms) - but still, it's enough to give me a little boost. There were points during the run, though, where I was aware I was walking too long, and should have started running again. I don't want to play the "should" game with myself when I'm running, but Davie calls that sort of thing 'positive pressure', and thinks I need a bit of that. It's all about balancing the types of pressure, I guess; I definitely need to push myself, but I need to do so in a way that doesn't make me feel bad.

So, running is back in my mind big time at the moment, with the Alloa half marathon coming up at the end of the week. I reached out to James for a bit of advice yesterday, as I think I'm really overthinking it and getting myself a bit panicky - ultimately, what happens, happens. I have to acknowledge there is a chance I'll come last, but what I need to do is accept that, and still give the race my all, such that even if I am at the very back, it's not a miserable affair, like SS6 was in 2013. This race, because I'm not exactly at HM standard right now, is all about my mindset, and how I deal with the 3 hour race. I think understanding this, and giving myself the right messages, will make this race a lot easier to deal with, and once I get the negativity out of my head, I'll run better anyway! I have yet to make a decision on my race day strategy, though, but I think I have an idea, based on how my long runs have been over the past 3 or 4 weeks. So now it's just about getting to race day feeling ready, confident, and ready to basically kickstart my running year.

I'll be working out in the gym 3 times (resistance, core, and circuits), and I'll run maybe twice, depending on how things go. Two full rest days before the race. So now I need to stop thinking it all through, and look forward to the weekend - Saturday, volunteering at D33 ultra, seeing everyone for the first time in many months. Sunday, race day, and seeing a whole other bunch of friends and the mad huge running family of which I'm part. Once this week is done, the planning for actually training for races and training for PBs, begins. All the while, without losing sight of my overarching goals. Which is why how I mentally approach the race this weekend is just as important as anything physical! So, onwards with my week - I'll update the blog again soon, maybe on the subject of food next time, as I haven't posted any food pictures lately, but I've most definitely been taking them....

2 comments:

  1. Well done on going so much faster at St. Andrews. I don't know the comparative times by I'm guess that's 7 to 10% faster, which is a huge chunk.

    For the half marathon this weekend, I'd tackle with the mentality of an ultra - run/walk is an really efficient way to move in terms of calories/mile for a the speeds you'll be travelling at, fit the walk sections in with the shape of terrain. Aim to start the with same run/walk ratio and speeds that you feel you'll be able to manage the whole way. Drink and eat small amounts regularly and start right away, don't wait till you're an hour in.

    There are also a few supplements/stimulants that can help too. Beetroot soup/juice etc. is great for improving bloodflow, have some the day before and the morning if possible to get your nitrate levels up for the race. Caffine is great for keeping your motivated and focused during the later stages of a race, and it acts as a pain killer too.

    Then of course there is mental positivity, prepare yourself to be in a good place when you run. Feed from others positive and let let any negative things that might happen along the way just pass like water off a ducks back.

    Volunteering at the D33 should provide plenty of positive memories, but be wary of how much it might take out of you and be selfish when you need to be - you need time to rest, you have your own race to run. Plan out your day to keep stress levels down, and plan in where you will be able to have a proper food.

    Organizing all your half marathon race kit prior to heading up to the D33 will help make the Saturday less stressful, as you'll know that's all done already so less to think about. If possible make sure you get home on Saturday as early as you can so you can pamper yourself and have an early night.

    Good luck ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, thanks for this support, lots to think about there! :-) (Not that I'm not thinking about it quite a lot already, haha.)

      Delete