Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Back to reality

So, back to work after a 4-day weekend, and back to normal routines again - I didn't get any exercise done on my day off yesterday, but used the time to catch up with some of my friends, and it was a fun and relaxing day after a fairly hectic weekend. (Admittedly Sunday wasn't 'hectic', but facebook had exploded after the Fling, haha, and I was proper shattered, and didn't even bother getting dressed all day. The scales didn't suffer for it.)

My plan had been to get to the gym early today, and get a weights session done before work, then either at lunchtime or after work, get a treadmill intervals session done. But I woke up with the alarm well before my body was ready to wake up, and I just couldn't bring myself to move around as fast as I'd need to, to get to the gym on time. So I had a very light breakfast, watched some TV and browsed the internet, then decided since it was sunny, dry, and not at all windy outside, I might as well get a half hour run done, before showering and heading into work. So, that was pretty much what I did, at 7am on a beautiful sunshiny morning without a cloud in the sky...

A random looping direction-less mile or so around the park near my flat, followed by a second mile or so along the cycle path and alongside the river, and looping back on itself to get home. I was thrilled to run the whole way - just shy of 2.4 miles, in 27 mins - without any walk breaks, and on checking my garmin data later, I was gobsmacked by how consistent the laps times had been. The first mile was recorded as 11:31.3, and the second mile was recorded as... 11:31.3 !! No kidding, that's a bit weird, eh? lol! I'm really happy with keeping the steady pace, and I was aware my breathing was well-controlled and I wasn't pushing myself, but working well with the wee inclines on the route, keeping my head high, and shoulders relaxed. I know I could have pushed to run a wee bit faster, but equally there's a chance I would have then felt the need to add in a walk break too. I know running a smooth, controlled 2.4 miles without walking isn't generally seen as a major achievement for most people, but for little ol' me, it's pretty damn satisfying.

So it's about 12 days until the 10km race I'm doing, and with this morning's run, and my general positivity at the moment, I'm re-evaluating my goals for it in a more positive light. We'll see....

Tonight, after having to work late, I've decided a second exercise session isn't a great idea, and actually I'd be better served with a healthy dinner, early night and plenty of sleep. Now that the nights and mornings are getting lighter, the bedroom blinds have been drawn for the first time in over 6 months, and I could really tell the difference last night. :)

The scales this morning show I'm only 2lbs off being truthfully able to say I've lost 5 stone, as opposed to the kind of massaged truth I give now, lol!! (It's not lying. Honest. Saying "I've lost around 5 stone" is much easier than saying "I've lost about 4 stone 11½, give or take."). And my jeans won't stay up without constant hitching and tugging at them, haha. (Woo!) So yes, currently I've lost 68lbs since Jan 2010. Almost 31kg. Slow and steady definitely wins the day, folks. I'll get that full 100lbs off eventually!! :) x x

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing sweetheart! Loving the steady pace... you know how much I need that. I can not wait until you get your 100lbs loss - wowee we will need to do some serious celebrating then! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like this Sarah, I think she should stay around a while too xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thank you ladies. :) Yep, Helen, I hope she will! x

    ReplyDelete