Thursday, 11 June 2015

Sunny mornings by the coast

face as pink as my tshirt :-)
I've started my new programme for running with a couple of runs designed to help me start to learn how to work on my speed, etc, and as such I've decided to mostly run on flat routes for these runs, for the time being. In Edinburgh, that basically means 'along the coastline', as everywhere else is hills! :-) Anyway, because it's sunny and warm and summery at the moment, it's been really lovely to run along the coast of a morning - but hot!

Monday, as I wrote, was a 5km run along the coastline at Cramond. Tuesday morning I forewent the sunshine, for a gym session with weights instead. I focussed on upper body and core strength conditioning work, and had a good hour reminding myself that I do quite enjoy some aspects of weight training!! Felt good. Yesterday (Weds) I ran 4 miles back at Cramond/Silverknowes, finishing the run somewhat surprised and pleased with how I'd done, but very pink-faced and glistening. It put a smile on my face for the rest of the day, which is something I thought I would rarely say about running, haha.

Today is a rest day, but I decided to make the most of the sun by taking breakfast out to go back to Cramond/Silverknowes for a bit of a walk, take in the scenery, and sit down at a picnic table to have a wholewheat bagel with hardboiled eggs, and a mug of tea. I got so carried away with it all that I decided to walk all the way to work after breakfast, which is 4½ miles (on top of the 2 miles I'd already walked!)... Audiobook in my ears for this second walk, I left the sound of the sea lapping against the shore, and strode off towards the office - thanking my lucky stars I'd remembered to put sunscreen on before I left the flat this morning!! Nice bit of unplanned exercise, all the same.

I've also made the decision that instead of getting a last minute flight away to a beach somewhere for my holidays from work in a couple of weeks, I'm going to just relax and chill out here for 2 weeks instead, and take a foreign holiday later in the year. This time I'll stick with relaxing, exercise, day trips, and hopefully a little bit of camping somewhere so I can see how my new tent works. ;-) I suspect I will struggle to put it up, as it's been a very, very long time since I've tried, but I'm enjoying just being out and about when I can, and want to do more of it over the coming months. Especially the al fresco breakfast experience with bright blue skies, that I enjoyed this morning!!


OH!! OH! I nearly forgot! It's Thursday, which of course means weigh-in day! *grin* This morning the scales show a 2.6lb weightloss from last week, meaning in 23 weeks I've lost 43.2 lbs (just over 3 stone 1), or 19.6kgs. Very, very happy with that.

The subheading of this blog, at the very top of the page, starts "With 100lbs to lose, in Jan 2010..." so I feel like even though I am fully focussed on my 2015 journey at the moment, I should kind of just let you know how my current weight fits into that picture, of the overarching long-term goal. Well, I'm really pleased to say I'm currently 75.4 lbs lighter than I was on 1 January 2010 - so I'm more than 75% of the way to my goals. I'm still overweight, I still have a little way to go, but I've never felt stronger (mentally and physically). I haven't been the weight I am now since July 2006, and back then it never felt permanent, and yep, that yo-yo string snapped back up around that time - this time, I'm a whole new person, I've learned so much (and am still learning), and I've worked harder on the mental aspects of this journey over the last 5 or 6 months than ever before. So, in short, things are all sunshiney at the moment, and I'm feeling that each step of my journey - be it forwards or backwards - is a positive opportunity for progress. x


No comments:

Post a Comment