Monday, 18 November 2013

50th parkrun (and a bit of ultra musing)

Saturday was my 50th parkrun - the stats, if you're interested, are 34 at Edinburgh, 6 at Glasgow, 4 at Strathclyde, 3 at Falkirk, 2 at Tollcross, and 1 at Hull. :) It felt right that my 50th should be at Edinburgh, and despite a very bad few months, running-wise, Davie and Bob decided I was also running the whole way. I've only ran the whole way at parkrun 3 times before, normally my brain kicks in and demands a walk break, and I give in. But apparently, not this week!! They both drove to Edinburgh to encourage me round - and when we realised how bad the headwind was on the second half of the run, they also acted as a moving windbreak for me, haha, as they ran shoulder to shoulder, and told me to tuck in behind them!! I'm not saying it was 100% effective, lol, but I'm sure it helped. Regardless, the pressure of having them both there telling me how well I was doing, and trying to get me to calm my breathing etc, really helped, and I ran the whole way. Pretty thrilled, but it was very tough going.

It was a great atmosphere, as ever, and brilliant to chat to familar faces, and get high-fives from some of the runners on their way back - plus, I feel pretty honoured to have two close friends with me, and genuinely pleased for me. They encouraged a wee sprint finish out of me, and as I crossed the finish line, the photographer caught them both grinning just behind me - love it. :) (Let's just ignore how bad I look, haha. I'll be slimmer by the time the NEXT 50 roll around!!) Plus I met Alan and Michael that I'd only know from facebook, which was pretty cool, and I liked showing off my pretty home parkrun to Davie and Bob. I've been avoiding this particular parkrun for most of the year for a couple of reasons, but really I need to push past these things. My plan for 2014 is to focus on the 5km distance as much as I can, and try to work my way down to sub-30 minute runs, not just at the pancake-flat Edinburgh run, but including at the hilly parkruns within an hour's drive - namely Falkirk, Glasgow, and Tollcross. It'll be a tough challenge, but I definitely think I can change my training back to what I was doing 18+ months ago, before I started traning for my first half marathon when speed training went out of the window for me. I really struggled to keep the 11:30-type average pace per mile, when a look at my stats from my 5km PB 18 months ago showed I managed an average pace of 10:48 mins per mile. So, new challenges ahead!!! :)

Away from the 5km distance, my 2014 Ultra Marathon calendar is shaping up well. No, of course I'm not running any (well, I'm going to be in a relay team in Clyde Stride, but I'll come back to that another time!) - but I've already been asked to crew for some of my friends at a number of different ultra marathons over the year, and I've volunteered to marshal at another, and my calendar is steadily filling up. I was really pleased to be asked to crew at the 2014 West Highland Way Race for my friend Amanda, so I'll admit I'm probably just as nervous as she is, waiting for the start list to be decided and published!!! *hops from foot to foot*

Crewing races really is an utter privilege, and my 2013 year was a joy from start to... well, to nearly-finished, lol. Cheering/supporting Davie and Craig at the Perth 50km, crewing John at WHW Race, moral support for Helen, Amanda and Bob for half of the Devil, and for Davie at the John Lucas finish line, volunteering at the Fling, crewing Andy (and others) at Glenmore 24, and of course support crewing for Julie at Clyde Stride - not forgetting cheering/moral support for Paula at the Ironman 70.3, and supporting Tamara in her Moonwalk marathon - I've had a hell of a year, met so many incredible people who inspire me every day, and I've learned so much. I plan to build on that in 2014, and help more friends achieve their goals in style. It's always a privilege to be asked - (and it's my opinion that you should wait to be asked! Though I don't think I did when I told Davie if he does G24 I'd crew for him and Julie, hahaha) - and to be part of their day. It's so exciting seeing everyone making their 2014 race plans, you can't help but be swept along for the ride. I'm excited to see what the next year will hold - but there's still a little bit more of 2013 to get out of the way, and one last ultra to attend. Okay, okay, I'll be too busy running a half marathon while the 50km race is happening at the same time, but I'll be done in time to cheer friends over their finish line, for sure!! (I'd better be......! lol.)

Anyway, another week begins. I went to the gym before work, and left the car at home for an autumnal walk to work along the river - my personal trainer is back from his holidays, and I see him on Wednesday, and we're going to discuss a new plan of attack for 2014. Bring it on!!

7 comments:

  1. This running sounds a bit of a lark, how do i get involved???
    I dont have one of those Garmin 610 things, are they a pre requisite?
    Anon non runner person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, is that an Anon type non-runnery person as pictured in a green Team Daftie tshirt, by any chance? Hahahaha. See, in the photo I'm loving caressing the 'stop' button on my Garmin 610. It's only to make people with other models jealous. x

      Delete
  2. you didn't mention to Anon the non runner type about cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Anon the non runner type knows ALL about the joys of post-run cake already. :-)

      Delete
  3. Cake as well, i am definitely giving this a try
    Anon non runner cake eater person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd be pretty good at running, Anon. Give it a go, you won't regret it.

      Delete