Monday, 20 May 2013

Sometimes you just need to get off your bum and move.

Saturday was a great day - started early with the drive across to Falkirk to run the 5km parkrun course. I've ran in the park, around bits of the route, but not ran the actual 5km before, so I was a wee bit daunted. It's an interesting course - a long slow climb into a wooded area, a long slow descent, a shorter sharper climb, and the long slow descent to finish. I worked hard in some areas, sadly not hard enough in others, but in general I was pleased with how I did, crossing the line a few seconds under 35½ minutes for the 5km. Definitely confidence-building, I can see areas I'm improving in, and those I really need to keep working at, and while I think I ought to work harder on the whole "not walking" aspect, it's gratifying to see my runing speed getting a wee bit faster, and more consistent.

Good banter with some of the ciore team in the cafe afterwards, over a cup of tea. I was able to resist the bacon roll this week, and even stayed strong as some of the guys ordered scones, lol. I'm starting to believe that willpower is just another muscle; the more you exercise it, the stronger it gets.

Driving home after the run, the heavens opened. It's almost like it had waited til I was done running.... ;) Felt pretty happy, driving along the motorway singing along (loudly) to songs on the radio - home, showered, more tea, and some lunch... happy Sarah. I spent the afternoon indoors, as the rain pounded on outside, then in the evening I headed oiut across to Glasgow, for dinner at a friends house so we could watch (and laugh at) the Eurovision Song Contest. It didn't disappoint - as gloriously tacky and weird and amazing as ever; it really feels marevllous to laugh uncontrollably sometimes. It was an evening to help nourish my soul, lol, with good company, lots of laughter, and Tamara had cooked a really lovely meal of spicy chicken and couscous salad. So, all-round, I'd say Saturday was a big success.

Sunday....... well, Sunday. I woke about 7-ish, I think, after less than 6 hours of sleep (following 3 other nights of not very great sleep) and felt exhausted to the core. I moved to the couch, flicked the TV on, and - apart from the occasional trip to the kettle - pretty much stayed where I was for the next 8 hours! I mean, I did nothing; no cleaning, no dishes, no laundry, no nothing. I thought about going to the gym, but didn't. I thought about going for a swim, but didn't. I was reading facebook updates, and of course being a Sunday in late Spring loads of folk were racing so I started thinking I ought to get out for some sort of exercise, but I really felt lacking in energy, and even the thought of getting dressed seemed a bit much. I finally got into my running gear at 3pm, but even then couldn't push myself to go anywhere. Eventually, two hours later, I forced myself to just get off my arse and get out the door. It didin't matter how far I ran, just as long as I did "something".

So, I went up to Cramond/Silverknowes, and ran 4 miles on the promenade. Well, I ran 2½ miles, then ran/walked 1½ miles, but you know what I mean. :)

I did it in a reasonable time (for me - 4 miles in just under 47 minutes) and got back to my car feeling a million times better than I'd been feeling curled up on the couch in front of the TV. Sometimes I can really see a future with me and this running malarkey. Not that I'd admit that to anyone......

1 comment:

  1. ha hhaa you just did admit it :-) not listening when you say you hate running :-)

    ReplyDelete