This morning, I woke early, and as I'd be running shortly after 10am, at about 7am I ate a wholewheat bagel with fried mushrooms, 2 scrambled eggs and a wee bit of grated cheddar. I couldn't eat the whole lot, which was actually something that made me smile. Since when have I not been able to clear my plate??! This is a good sign, lol!
I set off to collect Ianthe and drive through to Tamara's flat close to Bellahouston Park. After a cuppa we walked through the park to the start area, and I'll admit to getting a wee bit nervous about November's race, as we were walking along a section where I'd be running! It kinda helped take my mind off today's race, so, ummm, yay?
We got to the area where the 'slowest' wave congregate, and were there quite early, so close-ish to the front. Someone offered to take a photo of me and Ianthe, you will note my huge bright and noticeable 'Team Daftie' tshirt, lol. Soon after I was 'noticed' by Julie, who joined us, and we chatted in the crowd (mostly bemusement at the number of runners in full make-up and fake tan, lol) until it was time to start. And soon after, after a quick wave to Tamara and Derek at the side, off we went.I settled into my own running pace straight away, the three of us split up almost immediately in the crowds doing our own thing, and a glance at my Garmin when I passed the 1km marker showed 7:20 - implying if I kept up that pace, I'd finish in a little over 73 minutes. My sub 75 minute run could be on - maybe even a bit closer to my PB if I could keep up that pace. Could I keep up that pace?? My Garmin was set to mark laps in miles, rather than km, so I tried to take a quick look as I passed the km markers, to check I was managing around about the same pace, but the second km marker showed 14:20, so I knew I was speeding up. I ran without walking all the way to shortly before the 5km marker, which I was seriously proper thrilled about. I went past the 5km marker just before 35 minutes - I was gobsmacked, and really very happy about that, but knew I had the most difficult half of the race ahead of me.
The second half of the race, I kept a run/walk rhythm up - I would run as long as I felt I 'could' (hmmm), then walk briskly - but as soon as I started walking, I would pick a landmark at a fixed point ahead of me, and start running again as soon as I reached it. I also tried to pick up my running pace a wee bit, so as not to get TOO far from the 7:20-sort of pace. I'll be honest, here, I lost a bit of track of checking my time against the km markers - I was focussing on pushing myself forwards, finding gaps in the crowds, and trying to make sure I walked as little as I could.
The hill in Pollok Park arrives at around 7km, and I tried to run as much of it as possible, walking perhaps half of the steeper bit, and starting running again as soon as I reached the top. I was feeling generally quite happy with how my form and breathing were going - I controlled my breathing my counting quietly with each breath, if needed. With about 1km to go, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt I could come in under 72 minutes, so I was pretty thrilled at the prospect of a PB, and made sure to try and push my running speed further, albeit putting a couple of walk breaks in as well. Then, the last few hundred metres were upon me, and Tamara and Derek cheered and waved at me as I passed. I'd also been getting a few shout-outs because of my tshirt, lol, which raised a smile.
I crossed the line, hit stop on the Garmin, and it said 1:11:07....!!! Official chip time came out at 1:11:04 - thrilled is not the word! Took 111 seconds off my PB, which is a number that amuses as my 10km PB is now 1:11. LOVE IT.
I will just take a very brief (promise) side-step from the positivity to point out that a year's worth of running should have lead to a greater improvement than under 2 minutes, but to return to the sickening positivity that I'm doing so much of right now, I think the difference in me as a runner from last year's 10km race to this year's is waaaaay more than the time on a clock. PB's aren't just numerical, I guess.
Ianthe finished very soon after me (I'd passed her at about the 8km point, and kind of expected her on my shoulder in every wee walk break after that) and she was pleased with her run too, because her race experience last year had been a pretty miserable one and she'd come back this time with unfinished business.
We both felt pretty damn pleased with ourselves - she'd ran the whole 10km without walking, and I'd beaten my PB. We are, it has to be said, pretty damn awesome. :)I drove us home, then flaked out on my couch for a wee bit, before realising I REALLY ought to get a shower... While the aforementioned chatty lasses wearing full make-up and big fake eyelashes had been skirting round the puddles, I'd splashed on through, finding any line I could through the crowds, and my legs were showing the results, haha. A hot shower, and hot mug of tea; well earned. x
And a wee bit of statsy stuff at the bottom. Max heart rate, 196. Average heart rate, 182 (this shows I was pushing myself a wee bit more than my normal runs). Calories burned - 760 (woo). And of course.... Mile spilts:
1 (all run) - 11:17
2 (all run) - 11:11
3 (all run) - 10:51
4 (run/walk) - 12:14
5 (run/walk) - 12:07
6 (run/walk) - 10:50
Last 0.26 miles at a pace of 10:17 - total time 1:11:04 (chip).
Yay for a fab new PB xx
ReplyDeleteThank you!!! x
ReplyDeleteSuper awesome :D :D :D <3
ReplyDeleteYou too, Eye. x x
ReplyDeleteWell done Sarah! Bloody brilliant. Also, love the t-shirt and the muddy legs shot! xx
ReplyDeleteAww, thanks Cels. Missing you loads, hope you're keeping well. x x
Delete