| km | 4th April 15 | 9th May 15 |
|---|---|---|
| 1 | 7:16 | 6:47 |
| 2 | 7:04 | 6:57 |
| 3 | 6:50 | 6:28 |
| 4 | 7:49 | 7:25 |
| 5 | 6:22 | 6:17 |
| Total | 35:21 | 33:54 |
Not bad, huh?? I was a wee bit frustrated myself in the last 500 metres on Saturday, because I walked a bit when really I should have pushed harder to the finish. I just felt burst, and was struggling - but regardless, it's a good time, and shows that I'm building a little consistency with times. This is a tough wee course, with a big steep hill at the start of the 4th km, and a long steady climb at the beginning, so I'm pleased to see I'm keeping my progress going. I found some parts of the run much tougher than others, and I still find it surprising when I get to the top of a hill I've ran the whole way for, but it still motivates me onwards.
Saturday evening was a party to celebrate the recent engagement of Davie and Julie, the Moonertys. :-) I panicked a little, late last week, realising there was very little in my wardrobe that actually fits me, and I'd have to go clothes shopping (which I hate). I went after work on Friday, to a retail park which stays open later, and started looking around. My intention was nice trousers and a sparkly top, or something like that - smart, without being too dressy. I tried on a few things, and felt a wee bit confused by what was going on... clothes were fitting me... and then I picked a couple of dresses from the rack and headed to a changing room. I pulled on a dress that was a size 12, and it zipped up. Standing staring at myself in the mirror for about 3 full minutes, I didn't know how to take this whole thing in. I undressed, and slipped the second one on. Also a size 12, it also fitted. I didn't know what to do; as daft as it sounds, for a 38 year old to admit, I had no idea whether they suited me. It's never been a concern - I've always just bought clothes because they were the ones I could find that fit me without bulging too horribly, or hanging like a tent around my lumps and bumps. I felt a wee bit overwhelmed, felt tears of confusion starting to well, and got a little claustrophobic, so I quickly changed and scurried out of the changing room to the main floor. I realised I was still clutching the first dress, and before I knew what happened, I bought it. I realise that many, many people reading this won't really understand how overwhelming and difficult I find clothes shopping. I'm really not explaining the suffocating feeling well either, but I'm trying to use this blog to give as full a picture of my journey as possible. So, buying a dress was incredibly difficult, and incredibly confusing, but then this happened....

I basically found it tough to stop myself from grinning the whole time, haha. The outpouring of congratulatory messages I had when posting a couple of photos on facebook was fantastic - and then at the party, people went out of their way to come and tell me how well I'm doing, and how stunned they were by the transformation. Transformation is an interesting word, when I'm still only halfway through my weightloss journey. But then you compare the pictures (the one below is from my Great Winter Run at the beginning of this year - just 5 months ago), and it can be difficult to take in quite what's going on!! I don't see this every day - I'm seeing huge change happening on an incremental day to day basis. But wow. And so, so motivating to keep on going!! I'm on the right track, physically and more importantly mentally. So, I'm ready for another good week, and focussing on the future. x

Transformation is the right word, amazing how slender and healthy you now look in that dress. You've totally earned it, such changes don't come easy.
ReplyDeleteA minute and half quicker on a park-run in 5 weeks is great too. It's another sign that the transformations aren't skin deep, or just to your outline. The healthy changes are to whole "Self" :-)
Thanks Robert. :-) You're right, it's a deeper transformation I'm working on than just the external, still some way to go but it's progress like this that keeps me focussed on moving forward.
DeleteIt occurred to me that the photo of you running in the Great Winter Run is actually quite an empowering one. A metaphor of you taking that first step, leaving struggles behind and running with commitment and hard work towards a future you could enjoy being healthy and happy.
DeleteExactly. I wanted to start my year off positively, hence not wimping out on a day when snow was forecast (and indeed, happened). It very much felt like a start point for the year at the time. :-)
DeleteFantastic! You are just going from strength to strength, facing challenges and conquering them! xxx
ReplyDeleteThanks Fiona. Determined to keep focussed, and keep this conqueringness (it's a word....) going. It's people like you who inspire that in me. x x
DeleteSarah, you look amazing Well done you.
ReplyDeleteAlyson
Thanks!! x x
Delete