Wednesday, 20 May 2015

20 May 2015

What's been really interesting about the work I'm doing this year on addressing my issues with poor thought processes etc. is how it makes me view other people, and ultimately how that reflects back on myself. I'm reading a book at the moment by a ploddy slow runner like myself, but every single chapter contains some form of whinging and self-deprecating, despite everything she's achieving, and it's frustrating me. Though haven't I spent the last 25+ years putting myself down? Either seriously (and nastily), or just self-deprecatingly for 'comedy effect'..?? Yes, I have. So it's time to walk away from that aspect of myself. I know too many other people who constantly put themselves down, and everytime I roll my eyes at someone being 'overly' humble, putting themselves down, or bragging about being bad at something, I realise that others must do the same with me. I don't want to identify with being that person any more - though this isn't to say I'm going to become some super-arrogant show-off, or something!! I'm just going to try to not use negativity when referring to myself any more. It'll be difficult, but it's something I need to do, and I feel like I'm already making decent steps in that direction this year.

So, after the 10k on Sunday, it's time to get back on track - my eating is a wee bit scattered at the moment and has been for a couple of weeks; it's not that I'm eating junk, just that I'm eating too much healthy stuff (and probably a few too many 'treats', lol). I think tomorrow's weigh-in will be a nice wee wake-up call for me, if I'm honest. So that's what I'm trying to do now, focus back on the food diary, and planning things a little more carefully. Additionally, the Edinburgh half marathon looms ever closer, so of course my thoughts have turned to that.

6:45am, post-run, red-faced and smiley.
Monday was a rest day, and yesterday (Tuesday) I started the day with a visit to the gym. I did a decent workout with weights, feeling no soreness in my legs from Sunday's run at all, save for a little tightness in my calves which is nothing new. It was a great positive boost, and a good way to kick off a busy work day that ended up covering over 17,000 steps on my pedometer! This morning, I woke up early, and headed out for a run before work. My aim was simple: drive across to Regent Road, run the first 3 miles of the Half Marathon route, before returning back to the start. I figured maybe 4-ish miles, but time/pace wasn't too important. As it happened, it ended up being a really lovely run - yes, I did just say that!!! I'm not saying I "enjoyed" it, lol, just that I'm pleased with how it went, and how I managed to run the whole 4.25 miles, including the last whole mile of ascent!! My pace slowed in that last mile, but it was more important for me just to keep running without walking, and that's what I did. 50 minutes of "comfortable" running. Really happy - plus it was a beautiful morning, great to be outside so early in the day while there are not many others around, and a properly positive way to start the day. :-) I went home for grilled salmon fillet with kale for breakfast (yum) and cooked the remaining kale to bring to work for lunch with a wee bit of wholewheat pasta and some shredded ham hock. I've brought my swimming kit with me, if I manage to get out of work at a reasonable time, too.

Back. On. Track. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment