Thursday, 18 September 2014

Sept 2014

Things move on. And this is a post about my journey again, as I find myself still heavier than I've been over the rest of the year, and ready to re-set once again. Yes, I realise I have taken serious stock of my 2014 actions a number of times over the year, and made many firm decisions, fresh starts, new plans, but for whatever reason this year they keep coming back to the same point of self-recriminations and plan-failure. However, I’ve also been working on that aspect, on the side, and making a bit of progress there. It’s all about taking pressure off myself, and learning to adjust my mindset. I’m not really willing to go into what I’m doing, here on the blog, but there are things happening behind the scenes, worry not. x

So I’m working on a 6 month period of proper focus on my weight, I’ve dropped out of all my autumn races – yep, including Southside Six now too – and I’m back at the gym at least twice a week, to go with the running I’m keeping up. My running is going badly, but I think I was pressuring myself with the SS6 race panic, so now I’ve withdrawn, I’m hoping the running will become less mentally difficult, and I can work on building up again, from my 30 minute challenge in July, and onward through the winter. Also, my food is getting an overhaul, and it’s “Soup Season” in Sarah’s house! Woohoo!! I have previously been known to say you can’t exactly fail with soup, but the third one I made this week was an unmitigated disaster, so that’s a lesson learned! Haha. I was making veg soup, with stock, herbs, leek, carrot, celery and potato, but I completely blitzed it smooth, and my potato-to-other-veg ratio was way too high, so blending it meant it turned into some sort of starchy wallpaper paste. Tasted gorgeous, but the consistency was beyond revolting. Back to the drawing board!! ;-)

Anyway. I wanted to say that I’ve been in a dismal place, but I’m feeling strong about moving forward. I’m almost 2 weeks into the period of winter focus, and at the risk of sounding a bit self-absorbed (lol) this period is all about me. The ultra races I volunteer at, and crew for, are all in the other 6 months of the year, so between now and early March, it’s all about my own needs, my own training, and my own focus. I don’t mean that in a friendless hermit kinda way!!!! Hopefully I’ll still get to spend time with my awesome friends, because it’s another aspect of fixing my poor mindset – spending time with people I love, and people who inspire me; how can that fail? I went to Milarrochy Bay for a walk with Running Gannet earlier this week, and I have to say it was marvellous. We chatted and walked along a 3-4 mile loop, mostly on the West Highland Way, over to the point outside Balmaha where I marshal in the Fling race, and then up the steps and hill to the viewpoint over Loch Lomond before walking back to Milarrochy. It was a lovely walk, and great to spend time with RG and his lovely dog too. Really relaxing, and one of those soul-restorative kinda days that we all need from time to time. Plus, he plied me with buckets o’ tea, and how can anyone argue?!!

I plan on trying to do some short runs on parts of the WHW over the next 6 months, with no race in mind to train for, just running for fitness, improvement, and to try and beat the grumpy demons in my head: we’ll see how things work out!! I think with winter darkness in general, and when the weather gets really bad, the gym might become my bestest friend, but that’s perfectly fine with me!!!!! I did some great workouts this week; some awesome circuits, core work, and some great focus on my shoulders with the weights, etc. It’s exciting to be picking all that back up again, and the weight has already started to shift. I’m ready for this. I’m under no illusion it will be an 'easy' 6 months, but I have to believe I can make it, otherwise what’s the point?


Photo of me on the West Highland Way this week, courtesy of Running Gannet. I have my eyes shut, but there's nothing new there!

No comments:

Post a Comment