Thursday, 10 October 2013

Aargh, moths!

My first ever experience running with a head torch last night - if you don't count a few hasty dashes across the campsite field at Glenmore24 while I was supporting Andy a month or two ago, that is. Last night was a bit different to that - a 'proper' run, on a hilly trail, with rough conditions underfoot in some places (exposed tree roots, loose rocks, etc) but nice compact trail surfaces in others. And a bit of mud thrown in, albeit not literally - I don't think I'd have ran if anyone was there throwing mud at me...) in the dark. Bob is working in the area, so I agreed to meet him at Chatelherault again, for the 4.7-ish mile loop in the woods. It was a great run, although of course I didn't much enjoy the running... Through the whinging and complaining and sore bits and horrible hills, etc, I'm getting much better at identifying the great runs. :) I needn't have worried about running with a torch, it was remarkably easy to scan the floor in front of you, (not directly where your feet are - see? I'm learning!) - although I was definitely more hesitant on the steep descents than I might normally have been.

Bob finds my whinging and whining hilarious. "Aww Bob, my arms really hurt." "HAHAHAHA, that's a new one!!" - or "I'm so tired, this is awful, I'm just walking this bit..." "hehehe, you're funny when you whinge. Now, move." - or "waaah, Bob, this sucks, running's horrible, it's too dark, can I go home?" "Mm? Hey, do you think we'll see any badgers or foxes? It would be awesome to see a badger - I remember this one time when I.... (blah blah).." - One run, I'll confuse the hell out of him with a "wheeeee, this is awesome, do try and keep up!" run, but I'm not quite sure when that will be!

Anyway, we did the hilly 4.7-ish mile loop in about 74 mins, some 9 minutes slower than my best. I'm happy enough with that, I wasn't pushing for speed this time, it was all about trying the new thing, running in the dark by head torch, so yay me!! Another tick in a box. :D But seriously, aaaaaargghhhh at moths FLYING AT YOUR FACE. There should be a law against it, godammit. FLYING. AT. YOUR. FACE.

So, yeah, another good run, and I think I've earned a rest day today (well, it's gonna be a long day at work, but you know what I mean) - feeling positive, and looking forward (in a aarrghhh-flaily-panic kinda way) to a completely new running challenge to me on Saturday. More on that another time!



Just a wee postscript - I think I upset or worried a few people with my opening paragraph in yesterday's post. This wasn't my intention. I've always wanted to be completely honest about the mental journey that I'm on, as well as physical, as I try to change my life around. It's not always sunshine and roses, and I want to reflect that. Thanks soooo much to those who have separately contacted me about it. ♥ I'm doing okay, I just have bad days and good days. Today is the latter. x

No comments:

Post a Comment