As November goes on, I've got a new gym programme on the go (which is tough going, but a challenge I'm actually enjoying) that mixes kettlebells, resistance work, and short sharp cardio - and I'm finally back playing badminton again. As winter takes hold, and the mornings are dark, I've done very little running outdoors, and stuck to the treadmill at the gym instead. While not ideal, I'm keeping things ticking over.
I didn't lose much weight at all, in October, but things are slowly on the move again. It's a continuous challenge, keeping on top of my food intake, but as my work in the gym with weights increases, I'm starting to really grown muscle mass that should help move me burn calories more effectively. I deadlifted 48kg in the gym last week, for about 15 reps, and part of me is curious to see what I could manage in the realms of the one-rep max. Never tried, though.
I feel oddly positive about the direction I'm moving in, even if I still find every day a struggle and still et upset from time to time. I've been getting support from unusual places, and finally starting to discover a little belief in my abilities.
Next challenges - well, it's all about the mental hurdles. I need to suck it up, and try a spinning class… and then maybe, by the end of the year, different group exercise classes may follow. Slowly, and steadily. My friend Mike has promised we'll conquer a Munro at some point - the weather scares me at this time of year, so maybe that's an early Spring goal. :) And of course, I need to focus properly on the running, with the aim of having fewer walking intervals. I think a lot of that is mental, actually… I think my body might actually do what I wanted if I asked it properly, instead of letting my fat, comfortable and panicky brain get in the way!!
No comments:
Post a Comment