Wednesday, 2 December 2015

Not as optimistic, but still working at it...

The foot pain continues, and as it's been largely reduced I've been doing a few short runs here and there, up to 5k distance - and therein lies the rub. My fitness levels are reduced, and I'm struggling, and then later in the day my foot pain returns. Yesterday I went for a run in the lunchtime rain (in my new waterproof running jacket which I loved!) and struggled to cover 5k in around 38 mins of run-walking... 4 hours later, after sitting at my desk at work, I stood up to a very painful foot. Got a bit grumpy about it, but really there's not much more I can do: I did plenty of stretching and foot care work last night, as per instructions from my osteo/sports injury therapist, and while it helped it ease off, this morning on waking it was sore again. PF pain in runners can last several months, or more, and really 'not running' appears to be the main treatment. Calf stretches can ease the pressure a bit, and I'm just doing as much as I can.  Regardless, my positivity is ebbing away. I can't see me putting some proper miles of training in anytime soon. So where do I go from here? well, I'll tell you....


Right now, my plan is to Not Give Up. That's it, that's the plan. I'll make sure I get enough rest and recovery time, plenty of stretching, mobilisation and balance exercises, and - crucially now - plenty of cardio work. Also, and just as crucially, I need to halt the weight gain that's been going on for the past few months - it stands to reason that the less weight I'm putting on my foot, the less pressure and the faster the recovery? Well, anyway - it's just common sense that my current state of being heavily overweight isn't going to work for me, and as soon as my foot allows me to really start properly training again, I need to be in the best physical shape I can.


I did a very short but tough kettlebells session at home the other evening - asking some friends on facebook to give me some random numbers without telling them what it means - took one number as reps of kettlebell swings, and the other for seconds of rest. I ended up with 15 sets, and a total of 159 swings. I started with my 16kg kettlebell, but struggled and dropped to my 9kg bell during the session: I feel like I've lost quite a lot of fitness, and it's time to get it back.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that your foot is still a problem. All the stretching might not be the best solution to getting things to heal, even if it feels like you get short term relief. The best source of advice on running injuries I've come across is the soc doc, he's done several video on PF and foot problems:

    http://sock-doc.com/foot-injuries/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo to the foot woes, I can empathise with chronic injury and rubbish training. I'm sure you've looked into all options but I always wondered about the night splints or Strassburg socks, might be worth discussing with your osteo/physio. Hope you get it sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete