Thursday, 31 December 2015

2015 in summary

2015 was a special year for me, which you should already know if you've been around the last few years, or even just reading the blog this year as my journey progressed. So much has gone on that I don't really know where to begin - and how to split my own running achievements up from those of others that I've been witness to. So I've decided just to pick out a few of my favourite moments, rather than any full year review type of thing. I'm going to keep this really short. (Yes, really.)

In terms of ultra races I've been involved with (through volunteering, crewing, or just plain supporting) moments I was proud to be witness to include Paul Giblin winning the West Highland Way Race, James Stewart winning Glenmore 24 and smashing the course record (I will never, ever forget that weekend - thank you so much for letting me be part of it), Rob Soutar and Izzy Cairns winning Glasgow to Edinburgh, Rob Soutar and Gerry Craig winning John Lucas 50, friends completing their first ultra at D33, Fling, Clyde Stride, etc. (including Des Tinney, Janette Edoni, Davie King, and more...), Greg Beattie's hashtagAWESOME force of stubborn momentum in powering to the finish lines at JL50 and G24, Dave Meldrum rocking the West Highland Way Race, the TeamSub4 guys just being downright epic at Glenmore, incredible performances from the lads who made up "Team Vambo" (and crew) at JL50 including their own great races at Fling, G12, Devil o' the Highlands, Jedburgh, and more, Angela Barron's burst of epic post-injury speed at the end of the Glenmore 12, Ross Lawrie's inspirational spidey-tastic Triple Crown in full costume, Myles Miller-Gray being magnificent, Rhona McKinnon's WHW Race that still gives me goosebumps when I think about it, and the Tollcross parkrun ladies smashing the JL ultra relay. There were more, loads more, but those are some of the things I will always remember. There were also some incredible ultra performances from friends this year that I didn't get to witness in person, but that's what obsessively refreshing the internet is for!! Believe me, I'm always with you in spirit when I can't be there in person. x (Neil Rutherford - it's been almost a full year now, when are we getting the Spine blog post?)

My own running? Well. I wish the year was ending differently, but I can't be too downhearted about what this year has provided. Firstly, the support has been immense. I felt very alone in 2014, even though a few people stood beside me come what may - 2015 found me fully appreciative of those in my life, as well as a whole bunch of new people too. My results were down to, in no small part, the belief others had in me. So, to Davie, James, Paula, Julie, Gerry, Dave M, Dave W, Dave N, Myles, Fiona, Ross, Eilidh, Greg, Neil, and everyone else who's reached out to me or had a kind word of support to give me over the year (and there have been loads of you) THANK YOU.

The results...? Well. In 2015 I ran PBs at 1 mile, 5km, 10k, and half marathon distances. I ran a half marathon without walking once. I trained consistently for 17 weeks, running an average of 20 miles per week. I pushed myself through almost every barrier I thought was there. I surprised myself week on week, while everyone else stood by, less surprised by what I was achieving. I learned things, and I didn't give up on myself. I ran faster and further than I thought possible, and I began, truly, to believe.

The injury in October is teaching me more - I neglected strength work and stretches while I increased the running I was doing, and I had stopped losing weight... Some huge lessons to take forward into 2016 - I'm still in pain, so still not running, and although it's disappointing and frustrating more than I can possibly put into words, I just have to wait. And grow.

Weight-wise, the first half of 2015 was much, much more successful than the second. I've ended the year 22lbs lighter than I started it, but 20+lbs heavier than I was in the summer. It could have been better, but I can't be sorry about the way my focus was this year - the running results have given me way more, mentally, than any healthy eating ever would have. 2016 I need to find balance, and that's the plan. (Also, can't help but be a wee bit gutted that my new parkrun PB of 30:09 - taking 12 mins off the 5k distance in less than 1 year - was soooooo close to that 29:59 barrier! lol - so there's that, too, in the plan.)

Happy New Year, everyone. I wish 2016 to be everything you want it to be. x

7 comments:

  1. A fun filled year creating and being part of great memories, learning and getting stronger in body and mind as you go. Here's to a great 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda - hope 2016 is a special one, too. x x

      Delete
  2. You've had an amazing year Sarah and it's been a pleasure being part of it in some small way. I'm excited for your year ahead - that 29.00 parkrun will be yours!!! Happy New Year my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your year will be more exciting - but thrilled to have you in my life. x x #gopaulagreen

      Delete
  3. Goals and dreams don't have a sell by date, and if you have to take the long road enjoy the journey, go get 'em Tiger xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn right!!! Thanks missus, and thanks for continuing to be a source of crazy inspiration. x x

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, hope you're rid of that injury soon and chasing down your 2016 goals. A brilliant 2015 for you, and it's been lovely to be around you at a few of the races and see you glowing from your plethora of successes xx

    ReplyDelete