I'm still not running yet - my foot soreness has been taking a little bit longer than expected to go away, delayed a little by a lot of time walking last Sunday. The pelvis alignment is harder to fix myself, as it's such a minor difference that I find it tough to tell - however, my osteo/sport injury therapist has given me plenty of strengthening exercises to be getting on with in the meantime. I've been in the gym a bit, though mostly getting sweary at the foam roller, haha! The exercises I was given are taking a bit of getting used to - they're testing my balance a bit, too; especially single leg deadlifts! I feel like I'm making positive steps, even though my fitbit has been recording a lot fewer actual steps each day!!
Hopefully I'll be able to have a go running a gentle mile this weekend - and if that goes okay, then after a few more days rest I'll increase it to another mile or so, haha. Big mileage for someone who's supposed to be training for a marathon! I've been working hard on the mental issues behind this injury and my "maranoia" (it's a term I just recently saw online - so true!) - I'm in a much calmer place of 'I'll do what I can do, when I can do it' now.
I have an exercise bike at home, and together with my foam roller, kettle bells, and floorspace, I've not even needed to go to the gym these last few days : though I definitely will start proper strength training again soon. There's a lot of positives, here, while of course food continues to be an issue in the background. I'm very slowly, but surely, gaining weight - very slowly, but it's happening. These past few days I've made more of an effort to turn that around again. Eating kale, even!! *laughs* So, basically, not a lot to write about, but the direction is positive, and my mind is slowly getting back to where it needs to be. Woohoo!
If I can start running again in December, then my plans for the start of my VLM training includes a big 5km bingefest at the beginning of the year - two parkruns on Jan 1st, another on Jan 2nd, then the Holyrood 'Great Winter Run' 5km on the 9th. Talk about starting the year as you mean to go on, huh? ;-) In the meantime, I've returned to volunteering at parkruns, which is fabulous. Last week, volunteering at Falkirk, two separate passers-by (passerbys?) asked me if I'd "drawn the short straw" - hahaha!! Very much NO. Volunteering is amazing, and is key in keeping me feeling part of the running community while my foot pain recedes. Hurrah! I'm going to go along to Portobello parkrun tomorrow, for my first time volunteering there. The purple tshirt is the one I got free for having volunteered more than 25 times - that's a lot of shouting at folk, ha ha! x x
Good to hear that you are making progress. Have to say volunteering at 25 parkrun's is an astonishing record, totally deserve a T-shirt for your efforts helping others ;-)
ReplyDeleteThanks!! :-)
Delete