Monday, 17 March 2014

It's a post that's not about David Mooney.

This post is not about Davie. I think his head is getting too big these days, with folk like James Stewart bleating on about him in his blog, and suchlike, so let me just say right now, this post is not about him.

I have had a great two weeks starting my Half Marathon training. Davie says he can see a difference in my mindset, and although I'm still running really very slowly, I'm holding my head up, a very different posture; just ready to go. I think it's not just down to what I've been writing about before, feeling ready for starting training again, but it's also due in no small part to the support from people like Davie, Julie, and a bunch of other folk who are just there for me with a kind word. It's no secret I've had a very low few months, but I definitely feel like I've come through the worst of it, and am finally ready for my year. I've had some great wee pep-talks recently; Katy at Tollcross parkrun had a chat with me a couple of weeks back, and little things like Karen (from Edinburgh parkrun, which I won't go to these days) saying some nice things to me yesterday, it all adds up. People believe in me, so surely it's about time I believe in myself too? Admittedly, Davie has been saying that for a while, but this post isn't about him, so that's irrelevant.

The Moonertys (it's not about them) and I are in a little weightloss challenge at the moment, and fair to say we're doing terribly. Like, proper laughably awful. But it's encouraging to know we're there for each other, and I'm also secretly encouraged to know I'll totally win.... when I get my act together. :-) I need to sort my eating out, though (broken record, I know....) - I know I'm eating the wrong things, or the right things in the wrong quantities, but I'm finding it hard to get on track. Little by little, I'll get there soon. Meanwhile my weight is pretty static, at around 88kgs. Not great!!!!

Things do feel different, with my training. I know I wrote a couple of weeks back that I was ready, but did I really believe it? Difficult to say. Regardless, I've really grasped hold of this. It's now 10 weeks to go to my half marathon, and although my speed is slower than it ever has been, and I'm walking loads, there's a new feeling to my runs. I'm managing 3 or 4 runs a week, and while I don't exactly love running, I don't think I'm particularly hating it right now either. I have to dig deep still, and I've put upbeat cheesy music on my playlist to see me through, but I'm getting there. Slowly, very slowly, but I'm getting there. Saturday was parkrun, and I went to Glasgow Pollok Park for a change - I've not ran there since a couple of decidedly miserable efforts back in October. This time, I met Davie there (it's not about him) and he asked me what my strategy was for the 5km run. I didn't really have a strategy. ....I should probably start having a strategy.

I ran and walked at random; every time I stopped to walk I purposely made the decision not to berate myself for doing so, but instead I picked a point up ahead where I would start running again, and I largely stuck to that. Davie and John H were waiting for me with about 300 metres to go, and both encouraged me down the hill to the finish line. I actually finished the last bit running at faster than 9 minute mile pace, despite overall averaging 13 minute miles for the 5km course. NINE MINUTE MILES. Downhill, for less than a minute, with a pair of blokes heckling me, lol, but still. Awesome. :-) Overall, my time was poor, at about 39:45, but it's the best I've done for a while, and felt quite positive. Davie noticed the difference in my running too, which was quite motivating to hear, but it's not about him.

Yesterday, Sunday, was the Alloa Half Marathon, which I decided to go and cheer at, to support Davie and Julie (it's not about them), as well as a whole LOAD of other friends and acquaintances, including the mega-supportive clyderunners running club, who I know from the Sunday Social runs (ohhhh but I got some stick for having skived off the Chatelherault runs the last few months!! lol!). It was a very positive day for me, actually - watching runners, feeling motivated, and cheering with proper feeling (even when the police officer kept forcing us to move back onto the pavement, grrr). I was really impressed with how everyone did, great running on a very windy day from friends like David Downey and Andy Moodie, as well as the Moonertys, and I even managed to get my own long run (ha, under 4 miles) done that morning, with a random trot about Alloa with no clue where I was or where I was going. I felt mentally stronger when I drove away that afternoon.... so I drove straight past my flat to the gym when I got home, and did another 45 minutes or so of work there. It was a pretty good weekend. It's been a pretty good two weeks. Ten more to go to my own half marathon, and lots of improvement to make, but I'm ready for it. x

1 comment:

  1. keep laying down the markers and aiming for them x

    ReplyDelete