Yesterday morning I ran the 5km loop on the road that goes up around Arthurs Seat. It's a 5km run I've done maybe a dozen times in my life, and never really gets any easier. My 'PB' on this loop is 36:35, which I did over a year ago, and I've been nowhere near it since. Yesterday I started out early, ran the wee flat bit, then when the climb started I told myself I would try to run as much as I could..... and them promptly ignored myself and was walking within maybe 60 seconds. *sigh* I ran/walked to the top, mostly walk if I'm honest, then ran back down - the third mile is all downhill with a wee flat bit to end, and I ran it in under 10 minutes, finishing the 5km in 37:40 - so, not great, but not horrendously bad.
It just disappoints me that I can't see progress in the times over the last 12 months, despite feeling definite progress in my actual running/breathing/form. It is clearly my head which lets me down, time and time again. All I can do, I suspect, is just persevere.
This morning I went for a personal training session at the gym. I ended up admitting to him that my training is getting a wee bit overwhelming for me at the moment, and my priorities are screwing up a bit. We had a really good chat, and he's given me things to think about before I can try and write them down here, and then we got on with a tough wee session with deadlifting kettlebells (sets of 20 reps with 20kg in each hand, then 24kg, then back down to 16's, and so on) - and cable twists while standing on a Bosu ball for balance and core strengthening. I do have poor balance, but I think it's definitely improving.... A few other exercises with a barbell etc, and it was time for the shower. Lots on my mind, but a great wee session with the weights to start my day off right.
Tonight, after work, I'm running in the Ochils again, with Bob and Helen. I'm hoping it's a wee bit cooler than it has been, and oddly looking forward to it. Yep, running. Up a hill. Go figure....... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment