Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Training properly begins...

So, I was thinking of the 5km time I did on Saturday, and was somewhat intimidated to realise that if I want to meet my self-imposed goal of completing the Southside Six within 3 hours, by November I actually have to maintain a slightly faster pace than I did at parkrun (flat), for the whole 16 miles (with hills). Whoa. So I need to focus my training on being able to maintain an 11 minute mile pace for 16 miles... or, average an 11 minute mile pace if I include walk breaks. This latter option would mean I need to run faster than 11 minute miles. Currently, if I run one steady mile as part of a longer run, I tend to manage a pace around 11:30-ish, though I'll admit it varies wildly. I need to focus my training on this specific goal, so with that in mind, this morning before work, with just under 18 weeks until race day (let's just gloss over the fact I have the Great North Run to do in just under 11 weeks' time) I went out on a 3 mile run, with a general aim of trying to run 11 minute miles.

I have learned a clear lesson: I suck at judging my own pace. I thought to myself, well, if I normally plod along at roughly 11½ minute mile pace, all I need to do is push a wee bit more, and that'll be about 11 minutes. So, off I set.

Quickly, my left hamstring started to hurt - and by hurt, I mean it felt like someone was really pushing the butt of a snooker cue into my left hamstring, and refusing to quit. I think perhaps after Thursday's deadlift session, doing a run on Saturday and a run on Sunday and kinda neglecting any efforts at stretching off my sore hamstrings afterwards, has come back to bite me. However, I was determined to see how this mile would go, never mind the other 2 miles, so I repeated in my head "just get this mile done, just get this mile done" as I plodded on, focussing entirely on just keeping a pace a tiny bit faster than usual, and trying to ignore the soreness. I was struggling, and not enjoying it, but I had to get it done. My Garmin beeped, and for the first time, I looked down. Ummmm. 10:05. *rolls eyes* That's not clever. It's one of the fastest times I've EVER ran a mile... and not part of my training plan right now, lol!!

I slowed to a walk for a minute, which meant the invisible person behind me took the snooker cue away, then started running again, at which point my make-believe companion pushed their cue firmly into my hamstring and refused to let go. Ow. I ran for maybe a minute, then walked, then ran, then walked, then ran, then walked, etc. and did the second mile in 13:26, and the third in 13:35. I did 3 miles in 37:06, which is slower than I'm normally capable of, and way under target.

Okay, so I have about 17½ weeks to get this cracked. ;) Part of me is mega-disappointed, but part of me is looking at this morning's run with a more positive spin. I now know I CAN run at 10 minute mile pace, and granted I can't keep it going right now, it didn't feel like I was pushing myself too hard at the time. Plus I was preoccupied and over-thinking the hamstring soreness, and allowed myself to get a bit woeful in the second half - with rested legs, and a more postive mindset, I can build my training up in a focussed, intelligent manner. Also, I should use my garmin a wee bit more effectively, to pace myself while I still get to grips with figuring out my own pace. Intelligent training.

To that end, my training plans include hills, and going across to the West to do some training runs on the actual route itself. I am basically training with the one race in mind, which is what I've seen my friends do for their big June races, incredibly successfully. I will aim to consistently average 11 minute miles, and build my distance up over the weeks. I feel like with the proper training, and decent focus, anything is possible.

2 comments:

  1. learn to set your pace on your garmin, it can be annoying sometimes but it does help to keep you honest and can be a good motivator at times...
    (at others it pissed me off big style!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, yeah, I've got to start using it properly.... :)

      Delete