Let's have a Quarterly Update on the goals for 2012, and see what I've done in the first 3 momths of the year...
1. Complete the Moonwalk Marathon in June 2012
I've made a decent start on training, in that I've been doing a few walks at lunchtimes, and I've done a couple of long walks in March. One was about 7½ miles, and last week I did a 10 mile walk. My legs managed fine, but my feet weren't so happy. I'm wearing old trainers, though, that are definitely getting worn. I should get new shoes asap so they can be worn in in plenty of time.
2. Complete the Glasgow Women's 10km in May 2012
3. Run 5km in 30 minutes (start of 2012, PB was 37:52)
4. Run more than 750km over the year
Over the three months, I've done just under 147km of running, which works out as 91 miles. I was really amazed to see 91 miles in 91 days, I have to admit!! I've been regularly attending parkrun, and last week - in addition to doing an entire 5km without walking, as I've already written about - I got my first sub-35 minute 5km run done!! So, my PB is now 34:49, and I'm continuing well on my way to the 30 minute target.
Still not enjoying running, though. I kind of hope that'll come... eventually... ;)
5. Lose 38lbs, and maintain it (start of 2012, weight 179.5lbs)
This one is not so successful. I lost weight in February, and gained weight in March, and I'm now only a couple of lbs lighter than I was at the start of the year. I have massively increased my exercise schedule, but sadly have also increased the amount of junk food I shove in my face. I really need to address this, over the new few months, because otherwise all this weightloss will be for nothing, as it will all go back on again, with interest. There's clearly something much deeper within me that I've got to get sorted out...
6. Get a promotion, or get a new job
7. Focus on my work
8. Move to a new flat, be it rented or bought
Some minor progress at work, but not enough. I am taking some small steps to sorting this whole thing out, but my focus has very definitely been on exercise the past month or two, and I must remember to try and keep these goals in mind.
9. Participate in 12 new sporting activities (for 'new' either never tried, or not done for many years) - while these 12 activities are not set in stone, I anticipate they'll include ice skating, attempting a climbing wall, bagging a munro, a spinning class, swimming, kayaking, and more...
Ice-skating in January, then I tried climbing, and found it much better than I'd expected. I'll definitely keep that one up, when I can fit things in. Mustn't lose sight, though, of other new things. Number 3 is supposed to be swimming, but I've spent weeks and weeks trying to psyche myself up, and still haven't done it. It feels quite a major thing for me to try - there are some huge mental barriers here. This WILL be number 3, though, and as we're now in month 4, I need to get on with it. :)
10. Blog more consistently about my fitness challenges
Getting there. :)
11. Do much less inner city driving (this is hard to quantify as I don't know how much I did in 2011. It just felt like a LOT)
Mileage for the first 3 months totalled 1,140 - so I didn't cut down on Janurary's 300 miles, did I? It was actually 297 in January, 305 in February, and 538 in March. In March I had one day where I racked up 180 miles travelling to Glasgow and Innerleithen, etc, but other than that, the rest of it is purely from driving around Edinburgh. Gym, work, shops, visiting people, driving to somewhere flatter to run... This, I have to say, is Not Good Enough. As the weather brightens I'll do a lot more walking, for sure.
12. Be completely ready for Christmas before December 15th
Started my savings, but other than that, nothing yet. Probably all quiet on this until the summer.
13. Spend time with awesome people who make me happy, instead of wallowing alone at home
14. See films, go to gigs, read books, go to the theatre - stop THINKING about doing those things while watching crappy reality TV shows, and just do it
I’ve spent lots of time with different friends over the few months, and in fact made a new friend or two as well, which is all good. I have to say, though, I still enjoy spending time on my own as well - I have wallow-y days from time to time, when I feel a bit sorry for myself, maybe when it seems everyone else is having fun without me, but then I give myself a shake and remind myself that I saw x, y and z the other day, and am seeing a, b and c next week, etc... I can't complain, I feel stressed out when I have too many social things on!
I've seen a few films at the cinema - some mindless action movies, like John Carter, and some films that made me think more, like Martha Marcy May Marlene, which I really liked. Saw The Hunger Games this week, which I enjoyed but thought it was a little over-long, and predictable. Can't remember if I've seen anything else. Turning to books, I've not really read much, after Room that I mentioned in the January round-up. I went to non-fiction next, and read the really excellent "From Last To First" by Charlie Spedding, and next I should move on to some non-fiction. :D I have a few thngs piled up waiting.
15. More important than any of the above, stop eating meals in front of the TV.
Disappointingly, this is probably the one goal I've put the least amount of effort into. I really haven't even tried to do it. I'm not sure why - I guess I have routines and habits that are hard to shake, and mindlessly eating dinner on the couch while watching TV is clearly one of them. Perhaps I should aim to make a real conscious effort on this one. It's probably something that will help with the whole overeating thing I have going.
That's the first quarter up, then. Some great positives, and a few challenging areas to work on. All in all, I feel quite confident, but ready for Q2. THIS quarter is going to include some major running challenges, and the Moonwalk. Bring it on!!!
Sarah you have kicked some serious arse, how cool! And I love the stats... LOVE THEM! I just wanted to say that you are not alone with the weight/food stuff - my quarterly report is pretty much the same (except for me being so much heavier ;) Wishing you lots and lots of luck for Q2.. keep on rockin!!!! :)
ReplyDelete